Q. After bitten by a stray dog, I get pulsating sensation. Is this a symptom of rabies?

I have been bitten by a stray dog on the left leg on March 10th. The next day I went to a nearby doctor and he advised me to take two doses of vaccine as I had taken three doses earlier before four years. There was no blood visible at the wound and I washed it in soapy water also for five to ten minutes but from March 23 I am feeling pulsating sensation at the bite site often, they come and go. It does not happen always. I have consulted with four nearby doctors and they all told me this not a sign of rabies. So is it for rabies or for extreme anxiousness? The dog is still alive and fine.

#

Firstly, yes this is not a symptom of rabies and it would have progressed by now if it was rabies. Also, since you are vaccinated and the dog is still alive, you are unlikely to get rabies. So, it is unlikely to be rabies and trust local doctors. Also, keep watch over the symptoms. So, you should not worry at present.

But there is severe pulsating sometimes when the muscle is relaxed and I have read twitching is an onset symptom of rabies. What should I do?

#

It is usually tingling, numbness or pain at the site, rather than pulsating feeling. Pulsating may be due to the healing of wounds as well. There is no way we can confirm it by any tests. So the best possible course now is to wait and watch. We would have seen some progression of symptoms over a week period if it was truly rabies.

|