Q. Is it necessary to take vaccination after an unvaccinated pet dog bite?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I have a pet dog who is just 2 months old and not vaccinated yet. While playing, he was licking my hand, and I felt a prick on my hand. His teeth have started to come. I do not see any wound or scratch, but I am scared. I was bitten by a cat before and did take three shots. What do you advise?

#

Did you see any minor bleeding points or any scratches in your hand while you felt prick? I am sorry for such discomfort. According to your history, there is only licking by the pet dog and no wound, or laceration. This type of exposure belongs to category one. If your history is reliable, treating category one requires only wound washing. For a previously fully vaccinated individual (as in your case), one site intradermal (ID) or intramuscular (IM) vaccine, two doses are required. Total how many doses did you take for the cat bite? I hope this helps.

I took three doses when I had a cat bite. Is that fine? Would I require vaccination again? Please advise.

#

According to the guidelines, the dose should be given on 0, 3, 7, and 28 days. But as you replied, you took only three doses for a cat bite. In your present case, I guided you that if only licking and no scratches are present (which is given in your history), then only wound washing is done. But if you suspect any minor scratches present, you should take the vaccine on days 0 and 3 means a total of two doses (Day 0 indicates the date of administration of the first dose of vaccine). If you still have anxiety about it, please ask your family doctor or local doctor regarding vaccine treatment guidelines. I hope this helps.

|