Dosage And Duration

I want to take Piracetam for my admission test exam. Please suggest dosage.

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 21. I am going to take Piracetam for admission test exam. I am in a problem. Please suggest me a dosage.  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can certainly understand your concern. I have worked through your attached query in detail. Many of your symptoms are not related to memory loss. These are symptoms of a mood disorder. Piracetam is not the right medication here. You require antidepressant medicines...  Read Full »

What is the recommended amount of Synthyroid that can be increased to get normal TSH level?

Query: Hello doctor,My 24 years old daughter born without a thyroid and treated with Synthroid since birth has a TSH level of 23.980 uIU/mL and T4 Free of 1.57 mg/dl on the current dose of Synthroid 150 mcg. Her weight is 150 lbs and height 5' 4". Her endocrinologist increased her dose to 300 mcg, thinking...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is better to increase the dose by 25 mcg, i.e. 175 mcg if she was using 150 mcg till date escalating the dose or thyroid medication will be like 25 to 50 mcg at a time. Not double the dose causes severe sickness. As you mentioned, she was Synthroid (Levothyroxine)...  Read Full »

My TSH levels are getting varied after increasing the thyroid tablets doses. Do I need to continue the same dosage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am under medication for thyroid from past one year. Initially, TSH was 15.5, and I was using 50 mcg later TSH came to 13 so increased dosage to 75 mcg. After which my TSH came to 8.8, and now with same 75 mcg TSH got risen to 11.11. Please advise do I need to continue with the same ...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The goal of treatment in hypothyroidism is to normalize TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels. The dose of thyroxine needs to be adjusted until this happens. The dose is weight related to some extent. The approximate dose of thyroid hormone is equal to weight in ...  Read Full »

What should I do if I have taken seven 500mg crocin(paracetamol) tablets together?

Query: Hi, What should I do if I have taken seven 500 mg crocin tablets together?  Read Full »

Dr. Ignatius Soon

Criticalcare Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you indeed took 7 x 500mg crocin tablets which on the GSK website are paracetamol tablets, your total dose is 7X500mg = 3500mg of Paracetamol. The answer would depend on how heavy you are. Most of the time, the toxic dose is 200mg per kilogram. For example, if you ...  Read Full »

How long should one wait to see the effect of Valdoxan?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been prescribed with Valdoxan 25 mg for depression and anxiety. It has been four weeks. Still, I am feeling drowsy and difficulty in thinking straight and finding my words. Socially, I am feeling very anxious because I feel dumbed down. How long should I take this medication? Is...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Valdoxan (Agomelatin) is a melatonin agonist and a newer antidepressant drug. The drug is used as an add-on drug for depression and also as monotherapy in mild to moderate depression. In most cases, the drug takes about four to six weeks to show its full effect. You a...  Read Full »

How to reduce the dosage and gradually stop my medicines without side effects?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 23 year old male. I want to quit my medicines permanently. I am taking Valkem OD 500, Soltus 100 mg, Flunil 20, and Ativan 2 mg. How to reduce the doses and completely stop taking these medications without any side effects?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You are on Divalproex (Valkem) which is used for epilepsy; in addition, you are on antidepressants and antipsychotic meds. Firstly, if you have a seizure disorder, for which you are taking Valkem, then your EEG (electroencephalogram) sho...  Read Full »

What is the dose and duration for ofloxacin in infants?

Query: Hi, Please let me know the dose and duration for ofloxacin in infants with authentic studies.  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on icliniq. There is no authentic data of studies on the safety of ofloxacin in infants. But the dosage is 15mg/kg/day in two divided doses orally. It is being given in infants below the age of 1 year in routine practice in some selected infections such as urinary tract ...  Read Full »

How long will it take for my mother to recover from chikungunya and MG?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 80 years old. She has been having myasthenia gravis for the last 10 years and it has been under good control. She took only Distinon tablet three times a day till last month. One month ago, she had a viral fever. She was admitted in hospital for 10 days and the doctors treate...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I agree that the dosages have been increased quite a bit. But, the myasthenia precrisis is treated this way only. Coexisting viral fever chikungunya may be the added reason to increase the doses on higher side. If it was an overdose, she would have experienced the sympto...  Read Full »

As I feel nauseous, can I split the daily dose of Paroxetine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Paroxetine 20 mg tablet daily for my anxiety. Initially, I have been having half a tablet for a few months and have been told to now take the full tablet. However, I get very nauseous on taking the full tablet. So, I was wondering if I could take half in the morning and a half...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonia Malhotra

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.There is no problem in taking Paroxetine half dose in the morning and a half in the evening.But, Paroxetine is a highly sedating medicine, and that is why it is prescribed at night.If you stay at home, do not drive a vehicle and do not use any sharp tools for up to 6 hours...  Read Full »

Any advice on going off low dosage bipolar medications?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 56 year old male. I was diagnosed bi-polar, as part of an attempt to save a failing marriage and took a low dose of Carbamazepine (200 mg) and Lamotrigine (100 mg) for about six years and during that time felt fine. During another relationship that I should have ended much s...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. As you can see both of your psychiatrists agree that the dose is too low to have any efficacy and I agree with same as 100 mg of Carbamazepine and 25 mg of Lamotrigine have no value in the treatment of bipolar diso...  Read Full »