Q. Current dose of Synthyroid is 150 mg. What is the recommended dose to get normal thyroid level?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on Jun 25, 2019

My 24 years old daughter born without a thyroid and treated with Synthroid since birth has a TSH level of 23.980 uIU/mL and T4 Free of 1.57 mg/dl on the current dose of Synthroid 150 mcg. Her weight is 150 lbs and height 5' 4". Her endocrinologist increased her dose to 300 mcg, thinking her dose had been 250 mcg (incorrect). What is the correct dose to return to normal thyroid levels for this condition at her age and weight?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

It is better to increase the dose by 25 mcg, i.e. 175 mcg if she was using 150 mcg till date escalating the dose or thyroid medication will be like 25 to 50 mcg at a time. Not double the dose causes severe sickness. As you mentioned, she was Synthroid (Levothyroxine). It is better to continue the medication to maintain a normal thyroid level for a long time. After using this medication 175 mcg, it is better to repeat the thyroid profile after six weeks to check for that thyroid level.

| 

I had given a wrong dosage of Albendazole to my baby. Is there a problem?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 1 year 2 months old. The doctor prescribed Albendazole 5 ml-5 ml two doses in half an hour interval but by mistake, I had given 10 ml-10 ml dose of Albendazole. So, is there any problem?  Read Full »

Suffering from osteopenia and osteoarthritis. Taking AcuCal and FreeFlex. Is it safe to take SAM(S Adenosyl Methionine) to enhance mobility?

Query: Dear Doctor,  My mother is 66 years old. She is having Trigeminal Neuralgia and for which she is taking Lyrica 75mg, Tegritol CR 400 and Symbal 30. And other medication details as below: For Cholesetrol -> Storfib -10mg. For BP -> seloken xl 100mg and amlodac 5mg. For Urinary Incontinence -&g...  Read Full »

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article