Q. Current dose of Synthyroid is 150 mg. What is the recommended dose to get normal thyroid level?

Answered by Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Dosage & Duration or Levothyroxine? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My 24 years old daughter born without a thyroid and treated with Synthroid since birth has a TSH level of 23.980 uIU/mL and T4 Free of 1.57 mg/dl on the current dose of Synthroid 150 mcg. Her weight is 150 lbs and height 5' 4". Her endocrinologist increased her dose to 300 mcg, thinking her dose had been 250 mcg (incorrect). What is the correct dose to return to normal thyroid levels for this condition at her age and weight?