Q. I am 29 weeks pregnant and my double marker is positive. Kindly check.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I am in my 29th week of pregnancy. NIPT shows low risk but the double marker test is positive. Kindly go through my ultrasound report and please tell me if everything is fine or not.

#

I went through your report (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), these are the interpretations of your USG (ultrasound) report:

1. Single fetus, which corresponds to 29 weeks, is adequate growth according to both ultrasound scans and dates.
  2. A weight of 1.25 kg is adequate for 29 weeks of pregnancy.
  3. Your placenta is anteriorly placed in the uterus and not low lying, which is normal and good.
  4. AFI (amniotic fluid index) is 14 cm. This is the amount of fluid present around the baby, and it is a normal value.

Doppler study (study of the blood supply of the baby):

• MCA (middle cerebral arterial) doppler is normal, which indicates that the amount of blood reaching the baby's brain is adequate.
  • Uterine artery doppler is normal, which means that the amount of blood to ur uterus is normal.
  • Umbilical artery Doppler shows a mild increase in resistance, indicating that the blood flowing through the placenta from you to baby is mildly disturbed.

The placenta transports nutrients from mother to baby, and if there is resistance in the umbilical artery, the baby is not getting adequate nutrients. This can cause the baby's growth to slow down, resulting in reduced birth weight.

Do not worry. All you have to do is to have regular visits with your obstetrician, who will monitor the baby's growth with a scan and doppler (usually done once a month or once in two weeks).

If needed, I can prescribe you supplements. Kindly let me know what supplements you are presently taking.

I hope this was helpful.

|