Q. How to conclude Down's syndrome other than ultrasound scan?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Down's Syndrome or Beta Hcg? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: How to conclude Down's syndrome other than ultrasound scan?

I am 26 weeks pregnant. Yesterday, I went for an ultrasound scan named targeted imaging for fetal anomalies. Other than hypoplasia of nasal bone, everything is normal. I need an expert opinion regarding advanced tests of ultrasound or amniocentesis, karyotyping or any ultrasound scan to conclude markers of Down's syndrome (DS). In case of Down's syndrome, is termination of pregnancy is a must? Is it safe to terminate at this term? What if we keep baby after conclusion of DS? Kindly help us.