Q. Is nasal bone length an indicator of Down's syndrome?

Published on Sep 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My quadruple test is normal. After 23 weeks of gestation, I took an anomaly scan, which shows 3.6 mm nasal bone. Is the nasal bone underdeveloped? What are the chances of Down's syndrome? We do not want to get an amniocentesis test done as it increases the chance of miscarriage. Previously, I had a miscarriage as the fetus did not have a heartbeat. Is there any other way to diagnose Down's syndrome?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The nasal bone thickness is relevant only between 11 to 13 weeks pregnant scan where it should be less than 2 mm. Nasal bone thickness at 23 weeks gestation is irrelevant.
  • If the quadruple test shows low risk of Down's syndrome, then amniocentesis is not recommended.
  • However, the only way to check Down's syndrome can be amniocentesis or CMA (chromosomal microarray) where fetal cells are separated from the mother and karyotyping is done.

For further information consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

The nasal bone length is 3.6 mm and it is not the thickness. Can this alone be indicative of Down's syndrome?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The nasal bone length is not a soft tissue marker of Down's syndrome. It is the thickness, which is important.
  •  As the other markers and the nasal bone length are normal, the chances of Down's syndrome are negligible.
  • The quadruple marker graph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is well below cut off, so unlikely that the child is Down's syndrome. I suggest you take rest for a few days.

For further doubts consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

Can you please help me interpret my NT scan report?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 44-year-old female. After my three miscarriages, I am 13 weeks pregnant now with IVF treatment. I have got my NT scan with double marker blood test. The results are as follows: Biochemical Trisomy 22 risk: 1:249, combined Trisomy 21 risk. Using NT & Other parameters: 1:946...  Read Full »

Where to put your penis during sex?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently got married and have a few doubts about intercourse. I am not clear about the vaginal spot. Where should I insert my penis exactly? I had a chat with my partner and she said that it is the spot where the gynecologist tested her uterus when we had a general check-up. Please...  Read Full »

Miscarriage

Article Overview: This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emotionally and physically hurting experience, having a detailed knowledge about it will help you to prevent and cope up with the situation. Losing a baby during pregnancy can be painful, but it is always not your fault. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M

A miscarriage is the death of the baby within the mother’s womb, and medically it is known as spontaneous abortion. This can either happen during the first three months of pregnancy or later. Most of the time, the cause is not known, but females who have had miscarriages earlier have had a hea...  Read Article

Ask a Fetal Medicine Specialist Now