Q. What is the use of quadruple marker test?

Dr. Deepti Verma
Published on Jun 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife is 18 weeks pregnant with twin gestations. She has conceived through IUI treatment. We want an urgent and detailed feedback regarding her quadruple marker report. How authentic are the report findings, considering there are no other marker tests done before, like double marker? What could be our next steps? I have attached the quadruple marker report. Thank you.

Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. I have reviewed the quadruple marker report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• First of all, any serum screening like double or quadruple marker does not accurately assess the risk of chromosomal anomalies in twins because of the deranged serum markers in multiple pregnancy. These markers and their cut-offs are validated for a singleton pregnancy.
  • Secondly, the risk of trisomy 21 or Down's syndrome is only slightly higher in fetus 2.
  • In this scenario, a detailed anomaly ultrasound or TIFFA (targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) should be done for both the twins.
  • If any abnormal feature or congenital anomaly appears in it, then the chromosomal analysis of the fetus should be done by amniocentesis.

For further information consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

Why is there spotting and brown discharge with clots in a six weeks pregnant woman?

Query: Hi doctor, Now I am six weeks pregnant. I had two miscarriages before. I have some spotting and brown discharge with clots seen continuous from the fifth week to now. Two days before I went for scanning and a perfect heartbeat was seen, no subchorionic hemorrhage was there. But still, small spottin...  Read Full »

What is the risk of Down's in my wife's double marker report?

Query: Hi Doctor, This is the report of Double Marker test of my wife: Corrected MoM and calculated risks: fb-hCG 165 ng/ml 3.82 Corr. MoM PAPP-A 1.84 mlU/ml o.45 Corr. MoM Ultrasound data: Nuchal translucency 1.00 mm CRL 60 mm 0.64 MoM Gestational age by CRL 12+ 2 Nasal bone present Gesta...  Read Full »

Is bone marrow transplantation necessary in acute leukemia patient?

Query: Hello doctor, A 27-year-old female has acute leukemia (ALL). Her vision is lost because of the presence of malignant cells in the brain now but her treatment was finished six months back. Previously she got relapsed CSF 13 months back when her maintenance phase was going on. The doctor gave high do...  Read Full »

Ask a Fetal Medicine Specialist Now