Q. What is the use of quadruple marker test?

Dr. Deepti Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife is 18 weeks pregnant with twin gestations. She has conceived through IUI treatment. We want an urgent and detailed feedback regarding her quadruple marker report. How authentic are the report findings, considering there are no other marker tests done before, like double marker? What could be our next steps? I have attached the quadruple marker report. Thank you.

#

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. I have reviewed the quadruple marker report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• First of all, any serum screening like double or quadruple marker does not accurately assess the risk of chromosomal anomalies in twins because of the deranged serum markers in multiple pregnancy. These markers and their cut-offs are validated for a singleton pregnancy.
  • Secondly, the risk of trisomy 21 or Down's syndrome is only slightly higher in fetus 2.
  • In this scenario, a detailed anomaly ultrasound or TIFFA (targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) should be done for both the twins.
  • If any abnormal feature or congenital anomaly appears in it, then the chromosomal analysis of the fetus should be done by amniocentesis.

For further information consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

|