Q. How to cure dry cough which disturbs sleep?

Dr. Krishna Somani
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My mother is suffering from thyroid, high uric acid (6.8) and BP. Due to which she is not able to sleep and has cough from two weeks. She has been taking the medicines recommended to her. Please help.

#

• What is your mother's age?
  • How is her blood pressure now? Is it controlled or not? Is she diabetic?
  • Just tell me all her medications so that I can advise accordingly.

Revert back with the asked details to a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

She is 63 years old and is not a diabetic. BP is controlled due to medicine. She takes Telma AM (40+5) od, Meltor 5 mg, Thyronorm 50 mcg in the morning and Amtas 5 mg od and also Zyrova 5 mg od. She has K 5.7 and Na 135. Please help.

#

Welcome back to iclinq.com.

• Does she suffer with dry cough or with expectoration? Is there a history of fever along with cough and cold?

Revert back with the asked details to a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

She has no fever and expectoration. Only dry cough is present which hinders during sleep and then has problem to recover. Due to which she had become weak and lethargic. She lost 4 kg and is now 73 Kg. She also complains about pain in legs and hands.

#

• Get a chest x-ray, complete blood count (CBC), erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and serum creatinine.
  • Stop Telma (Telmisartan) temporarily as her potassium is high (K 5.7).
  • Take Amlovas (Amlodipine) 5 mg twice a day and monitor blood pressure (BP) at home.
  • Take steam inhalation three times a day and syrup Alex (Dextromethorphan) two teaspoons thrice a day.

Revert back with the test reports to a general medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Her T3, T4 and TSH came as 94, 13.6 and 2.18 respectively. Her serum creatinine 2.3, serum sodium 126, serum potassium 5.2 and serum uric acid 9 (increased). Her BP is 130/70 mmHg and weight is 71 kg. The recommended medicines are Amtas 5 mg, Embeta XR 50 mg, Meltor 5 mg, Zyrova or Rosuvas 5 mg, Thyronorm 50 mg, Renoalfa, Sompraz D 40, Fabulas 40 mg and Zolfresh 5 mg. Her sleeping disorder has improved a little bit but she has cough and pain in legs occasionally. She has become weak. We are applying Vicks and she is having Benadryl for cough. Is it right? Which fruits and vegetables shall I give? Is it fine to eat oats?

#

• For dry cough best is to give steam inhalation and syrup Bromhexine or syrup Alex (Dextromethorphan) two tablespoon three times a day.
  • Fruits allowed are apple, peru guava and pineapple. Strictly to avoid sour fruits like oranges, lemon and mosambi as all are high in potassium.
  • She can take mango twice a week and oats can be given.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|