Q. Kindly suggest me good medicines for my dry cough.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I am suffering from a dry cough. I cough regularly and get tired of it. I am taking Benadryl cough syrup. I also took some antibiotics that did not help. Kindly suggest to me some good medicines for betterment.

Thanks.

#

The most common reason for having these symptoms can be a feature of chronic silent GERD with LPR (gastroesophageal reflux disease with laryngopharyngeal reflux). Even though you might be asymptomatic or never had gastric issues in between, the inflammation in the throat often exists in the hidden form and can resurface when adequate care is not taken.

The reason for the hidden acid reflux to become so problematic is, as you know, the stomach has gut cells that release hydrochloric acid and thus keep the gastric environment acidic. Your entire mucosal lining from the mouth, throat, and food pipe is not meant to handle anything acidic. Of the three structures, the throat is the most sensitive due to its rich nerve supply. Suppose that your mouth, throat, or food pipe chronically comes in contact with acidic contents in a given situation. In that case, an inflammation starts, which the body initially takes care of, but once this compensation wears out, you start developing symptoms that you have mentioned.

Please try to follow the advice mentioned below,

1) Maintain a strict diet and eat on time.

2) Kindly avoid spicy, oily, junk foods and cold drinks.

3) Keep a gap of two hours between a meal and going to bed.

4) Do not overeat. Instead, keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh-cut fruits in between main meals.

5) Kindly do salt water gargling eight to ten times a day for 15 days.

6) Avoid alcohol and smoking as they can potentiate reflux.

7) Try to maintain a left lateral position while sleeping to reduce the chance of reflux.

I suggest you taking tablet Pan-D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) 40 mg once in the morning before breakfast for one month. And take syrup Mucaine gel (Oxetacaine, Aluminum hydroxide, and Milk of magnesia) one tablespoon thrice daily, 20 minutes before food for one month.

Make sure you follow the precautionary measures as much as possible. And please understand that this typically takes four to six weeks for things to normalize and symptoms to subside. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a treatable entity, and things will be fine.

I hope I have answered your query in detail.

Warm regards.

|