Q. Please suggest best remedy for cough and nose block in pregnant women.

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 20, 2020

My wife is 26 weeks pregnant and she is suffering from cold and cough for the past two days. Also, she is having a chronic nose block from her 12th week and using nasal spray for relief. She is finding it very hard to sleep for the past two days because of continuous cough. Her cough is without phlegm. Please suggest some safe medicines.

She is taking calcium and iron tablets along with Eltroxin 50 mcg for thyroid.

#

Any infection is not good for pregnant women. Please confirm if your wife has any fever. Meanwhile, you can take the following measures to help her feel comfortable:

Dabur Honitus cough syrup two teaspoons thrice a day. Honitus ginger cough lozenges once in two hours. Give ginger slices soaked in honey or raw to suppress the cough.

Also please provide the following information:

Any fever? Any sputum while coughing, if yes, what is the color? Any breathing difficulties? Any lower backache, spotting or leaking of fluid? I would suggest visiting an ENT specialist for examination as well.

She has no fever or sputum. She is having a nose block from week 12. Neither lower back pain nor leaking from below.

#

Well, the best thing for a blocked nose is steam inhalation with water thrice a day and also before bedtime. You can boil the water, turn off the heat, add a small amount of Vicks vapourub and let your wife inhale with a towel covering her head and the vessel. That should help. You should start right now.

Currently, I have Ascoril D cough syrup. Can I give her that to suppress the cough?

#

Well, I would say give just one teaspoon now and try getting Dabur Honitus. Please give her tea with a lot of grated ginger and black pepper powder. You can add tulsi leaves as well, boil nicely and give to her. This also helps a lot. Keep giving her this tea four times a day. Please let me know how she is.

She is improving now in terms of cough but then having breathlessness and wheezing sound. She is finding it difficult to breathe and sleep at night. Yesterday night she did not sleep at all.

#

As your wife is having wheezing and breathlessness, I would urge you to immediately take her to the hospital as she will need a nebulization to clear her airways. She must have that now and she will have relief. It have to be continued for a week for so. Please go soon and let me know how she is.

|