Q. What are the differential diagnoses for my dry mouth associated with difficulty in swallowing?

I am having issues with dry mouth and foods getting stuck on the base of the tongue and back of the mouth. A swallow study was done, and they found a "filling defect," but it was said to be air. I also have Crohn's disease.

What are the differential diagnoses? Could this be cancer?

Thanks.

#

I would not say that air pockets are very common in barium swallow but rarely can be seen.

I would like to know the following;

1) Has endoscopy been performed?

2) Do you have a problem swallowing solids or liquids?

3) Any weight loss?

4) Any blood in vomiting or stool?

Revert with the details to help you better.

Thanks for the reply.

Endoscopy has not been performed yet. My swallowing issue appears to be related to my upper esophagus and the back of my mouth. My doctor thinks it is related to dry mouth and post nasal drip. The problem is only with dry foods like bread, chips, etc. I did not lose weight and had no blood in the stool.

Thanks.

#

If this would have been cancer, you must have had weight loss and difficulty in swallowing anything. So, do not worry.

I suggest you take promotility agents and proton pump inhibitors as a combination of Rabeprazole and Levosulpiride once daily for a week.

Take care.

|