Q. Is it normal to have vaginal itching and dryness occasionally?

Dr. Natasha Bansal

I am in my early twenties and feel like my vagina is dry. There is no foul discharge or pain, but it itches sometimes. Is it normal, or is there anything to worry about? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

There is nothing to worry about in your vagina. However, the dryness and itching can sometimes be due to some fungal infection. I would suggest some ways to maintain good perineal hygiene like:

1. Always keep the area dry. Wipe it off either with tissue paper or cotton cloth.

2. Do not repeatedly wash the area whenever you go to the washroom. Just once or maximum twice a day is good. Apart from that, after passing urine, just wipe it dry with a tissue.

3. Always clean the area from forward to backward direction.

4. Wear cotton undergarments of the appropriate fitting.

I will suggest some medicines:

• Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once after food.
  • Clotrimazole cream twice daily for three days on the vulval area.
  • Capsule Vizylac rich (Bacillus Mesentericus, Clostridium Butyricum, Lactobacillus Sporogenes, and Streptococcus Thermophilus) twice daily for a week.

Kindly revert for more queries.

Thank you for your reply.

So my vaginal orifice is normal? Why is my vagina like it is coming out? Is there anything to be concerned about? Why is my vestibule dry and itchy? Kindly help.

#

According to the picture you have uploaded, everything appears normal, so there is nothing to worry about, and this dryness and itching will go away. However, kindly follow the instructions and take the medicines advised.

|