Q. I am under vitamin D3 supplements and my cholesterol level is high. Please help.

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

I did my routine blood test today. I am attaching my reports. My cholesterol is above the normal level. I have vitamin D deficiency and have completed a three-month course (weekly once a tablet-16000 IU). Should I continue the same again for another three months? Also, I am concerned about the high sensitivity test results, indicating future cardiac issues. Please help.

#

I went through your query and also reviewed your available reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Please attach your vitamin D level also so that I can comment on it. But the actual dose of vitamin D3 is 60000 IU once a week for five weeks. Your lipid profile is not in the normal range. It is elevated. You need to check your blood sugar levels for diabetes- fasting, postprandial, and HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin) levels. Are you obese? Do you have a family history of heart disease? If yes, at what age and what problem did they have? Do you have any cardiac symptoms like chest pain, breathlessness, palpitations, etc.? Do you smoke? It would help if you made lifestyle modifications, diet, and regular exercise. You need to lose weight as well and later make decisions about starting medicines for cholesterol reduction. Kindly get back with the above details to decide on medicines for cholesterol control and other management. Take care.

Thanks for the reply, doctor,

I am attaching the full report. My grandfather died due to a heart attack even before my birth. Other than that, there is no history of heart problems. I do not smoke and drink. I would also like to add that two months before I did a master health check-up, all the values, including ECG, came out to be normal. Thank you.

#

It is good that you have already done enough blood tests. I have reviewed all your blood reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). All the values in the report are fine except two. Firstly an abnormal lipid profile, dyslipidemia. Secondly, low vitamin D3 levels. For vitamin D3 deficiency, I suggest you take tablet D-Rise 60000 IU (Cholecalciferol) once a week for four more weeks. For your abnormal cholesterol values, you need to do lifestyle modification, diet control, and exercise. Take low carbohydrates in your diet as a diabetic diet and increase protein, fibers like vegetables and fruits in your diet. Start doing regular exercise and walk everyday atleast thirty minutes. Reduce your weight if you are obese. After following these for three months, recheck your lipid profile. If the total cholesterol and LDL (low-density lipoprotein) levels are high, we need to start medicines to reduce them. As you are too young to start on any such medication, it is always better to control them by lifestyle modifications. Everything will be alright. You do not worry much about it. Rest all your reports are perfectly fine. Take care.

|