Q. Kindly suggest medicines for chronic abdominal pain before periods.

Dr. Richa Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My sister is 22-years-old. She has chronic abdominal pain since her ninth standard. The pain starts few days before her periods. It is unbearable. The local doctor prescribed Fibroease tablets. She took the medication for three months, during which she had no pain during her periods. But once she stops taking the drug, the pain resumed making it difficult for her to sit in one place. She had some scans for fibroids which were negative. Please advise on this as we have visited many gynecologists, but no one has diagnosed her condition.

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for trusting us about your health care.

I understand your concerns. Her symptoms are suggestive of dysmenorrhoea which is usually due to hormonal imbalance. But to confirm the cause of your symptoms, you should get your MRI pelvis done.

I suggest her take an analgesic tablet, hot fomentation until we rule out the cause.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the following queries;

1) Is this condition endometriosis or something of that kind?

2) What treatment gives instant, assured, and long-term relief from the sharp pain without side effects?

3) Are the medicines suggested by you is a step towards that?

Thank you again.

#

Yes, there is a chance of endometriosis, but other causes must be ruled out.

There are no such analgesics that do not have any side effects, but contraceptive pills and tablet Ultracet (Paracetamol and Tramadol Hydrochloride) are helpful in her case.

|