Q. I feel the urge to burp badly to get relieved of the excessive gas in my stomach. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I am a 34-year-old male, 6 feet tall, and I weigh 170 pounds. I am healthy, and I do exercise three times a week. Recently I have been having a problem going for over a year already. I keep feeling like there is a lot of gas in my stomach, and I need to burp so badly in order to get it out. And when I burp, it does not go away. So I am forced to keep trying so hard to burp so I can feel comfortable. It keeps happening on and off, but these past few days, it is constant, and almost all days. I do not have any pain in my stomach or any other symptoms. The only thing bothering me is the need to burp in order to get comfortable, and if I do not burp, my stomach feels bloated. It interferes a lot with my work sometimes and my daily routine because it is very uncomfortable. I tried taking Gas-X, but it does not seem to help. What do you think is causing this? Is it something worrying? Could it be a sign of something worse? Any answer or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

#

The symptom of excessive gas filling up in the abdomen, bloating sensation, needing to burp are possibly signs of dyspepsia which is a medical term to describe disorders of upper gastrointestinal tract. It is usually a result of increased acid production in the stomach. I hope you are having regular motion and opening your bowel regularly. I also assume you do not drink alcohol or smoke, as these can worsen your symptoms. You should first try taking acid suppressing medications like Ranitidine or Famotidine twice daily for two weeks and then assess. If you do not find any response then try Pantoprazole once daily for a month and still if no relief then you must undergo gastroscopy. Regards.

Thanks for the reply.

Surely I will try that. Hopefully, it will help.

#

You will get better. Do follow my advice. Take care. Thanks.

|