Q. What can be the reason for my mom's repeated pain under breastbone?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

My mom is 63 years of age. She is getting pain under her right breastbone followed by acid reflux and burning in her stomach with a sour taste in her mouth. They did an ultrasound, which showed three gallstones. She had her gallbladder removed three months ago. Now, she is getting the same symptoms again and taking Omeprazole twice a day. But, it does not seem to be helping. Everything she eats turns to acid. She went to the ER last week and did a CBC, chest x-ray and ultrasound, which came back normal. Now, she has an appointment with gastroenterologist. She has a history of GERD and asthma. Please let me know your opinion doctor.

#

• The initial presentation of your mom was consistent with dyspepsia and I am not surprised that her symptoms are back. The issue that needs further investigation is the fact that she is not responding to the conventional therapy with Omeprazole.

I have a few questions; if you would not mind answering them.

• Can you please share the dosage of Omeprazole and how is she taking it, either with food or before food?
  • Did she ever get tested for Helicobacter pylori infection?
  • Does she use Ibuprofen, Aleve (Naproxen) or other pain medication? If yes, then how often?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I would also like to note that the pain under her breast bone radiates towards her right shoulder blade and her sugar was slightly elevated to 6.5. She is on Omeprazole 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night. Sometimes, she will take her medication with food. She takes Advil occasionally. She is also not sure if she got tested for H.pylori. What could this be?

#

My few suggestions are here.

• Try to avoid Advil (Ibuprofen) and similar medications known as NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) completely. She can use Tylenol for pain, but not more than 1 g twice daily.
  • Please let her know to take Omeprazole 40 mg 45 minutes before meals. Avoid using sweet and spicy food.
  • Please let me her medication for sugar. Also, do you have her liver and kidney function test reports?

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Can PPI cause stomach pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have multiple problems with my stomach, it all began two years ago after taking pills which I was allergic to. My stomach became inflamed with a lot of acids, chronic antrum gastritis, and acid reflux. My stool was too soft, and I did not take any pill because my doctor did not give...  Read Full »

Can antral gastritis cause hunger?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with antral gastritis, lots of acid in stomach and reflux. Problems started after I took some medicines. Since then I am always hungry. I eat more than before the problem started, but still I feel hungry. I am also suffering from excessive hair loss. Why am I always hu...  Read Full »

Is it fine to do fundoplication for GERD?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»