HomeAnswersOtolaryngology (E.N.T)dysphagiaI have been suffering from difficulty in swallowing solid food and dry cough. Please help.

What are the possible causes of difficulty in swallowing solid food and dry cough?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 24, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 24, 2024

Patient's Query

It all started with a feeling of something stuck in my throat. Then I started having difficulty swallowing solids, a constant dry cough, and throat clearing. After a month, the symptoms of dry cough and throat clearing improved. However, I still experience tighter throat sensations and difficulty swallowing solids. I did an endoscopy in which everything was fine. I had a thyroid ultrasound, and everything was fine. Are my symptoms related to LPR reflux?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Akshay. B. K.

I understand your concern.

As you said, your endoscopies are normal except for certain features of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). There is nothing to worry about, as a short course of antacids would help get your stomach to normal. Is the tighter throat sensation you complain of always present, or does it increase at any particular time? Do you have a history of smoking or alcohol abuse? Let me know your answers so we can arrive at a proper diagnosis.

I hope this information will help you.

Thanks.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

The tight throat is always present, but it has improved over the weeks, as well as the dry cough and throat clearing. It may be related to the fact that I changed my eating habits, as I have difficulty swallowing. I have been eating more soups and smoothies. I have been eating much healthier than before. What bothers me the most right now is the difficulty in swallowing. It is like food slides slower. And this started to happen after that first feeling of something stuck in the throat. I never smoked or consumed alcohol.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Akshay. B. K.

I understand your concern.

It is good to know that since you are neither an alcoholic nor a smoker, there is nothing to worry about. The neck ultrasound scan is normal, and there is no tumor. From the history you are giving, I would assume that this sensation of something stuck in the throat has caused some amount of anxiety in your deep subconscious mind, which is leading to this kind of feeling that the food is taking a longer time to swallow, this condition is called globus hystericus. The only investigation that we are left out is to rule out esophageal motility disorders, which are rare. We could do a barium swallow or oesophageal manometry. But let me reassure you again that no major thing is affecting your health.

I hope this information will help you.

Thanks.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Akshay. B. K.
Dr. Akshay. B. K.

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

dry coughendoscopydysphagia

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy