Q. My girlfriend has COVID-19 and now have shortness of breath. Can she fly back home now?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My girlfriend wants to fly back home. She is 24 years, and no health issues and no medications. She had COVID-19 and was positive one month ago. But she was tested negative two weeks ago. Now she is suffering from shortness of breath after walking and fatigue. Is it safe for her to fly?

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your girlfriend has been suffering from shortness of breath after walking and fatigue. She had had COVID-19 one month back. Having shortness of breath should not stop your girlfriend from traveling by air because you can make the necessary arrangements for her safe journey.

Her shortness of breath and fatigue may be resulted from exertional dyspnoea due to COVID-19 post complications. But she can undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), chest x-ray, CT (computed tomography) scan or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the chest, pulmonary function test, ECHO (electrocardiogram), etc., to exclude other respiratory or cardiac issues.

If she suffers from shortness of breath due to insufficient oxygen supply at high altitude during flying, inform the flight attendants, they will manage oxygen therapy for her, or she can carry oxygen therapy if needed.

She can make air traveling, but it will be wise to determine the underlying causes of dyspnea other than COVID-19 complications.

In case of any other query, ask me.

| 

Please suggest hypertension medicines which will not cause dyspnea.

Query: Hello doctor,I have hypertension, and in my childhood, I suffered from asthma. I have been prescribed ARB (angiotensin receptor blockers) to treat my hypertension; however, I have experienced side effects that lead to discontinuing the medication. Losartan 100 mg caused nervousness. Candesartan 8...  Read Full »

Is shortness of breath related to thyroid issues?

Query: Hi doctor, I had little shortness of breath with thick neck gland for a month. As I was on Thyronorm 50 mcg, I underwent a blood test for thyroid and here are my results: Free T3 2.50 pg/mL ( 1.4-4.4).Free T4 1.18 ng/dL (0.8-1.8).TSH (Ultrasensitive) 8.31 μIU/mL (0.45-4.5). I had increased the dos...  Read Full »

Why do I get sudden shortness of breath with sharp pains?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old female. I am 185 lbs and 5 feet inches in height. I have never had allergies or asthma. About six months ago, I started having shortness of breath, wheezing and the feeling that my air was not catching. I have sudden sharp pains that feel like something wanting to b...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now