Q. My girlfriend has COVID-19 and now have shortness of breath. Can she fly back home now?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My girlfriend wants to fly back home. She is 24 years, and no health issues and no medications. She had COVID-19 and was positive one month ago. But she was tested negative two weeks ago. Now she is suffering from shortness of breath after walking and fatigue. Is it safe for her to fly?

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your girlfriend has been suffering from shortness of breath after walking and fatigue. She had had COVID-19 one month back. Having shortness of breath should not stop your girlfriend from traveling by air because you can make the necessary arrangements for her safe journey.

Her shortness of breath and fatigue may be resulted from exertional dyspnoea due to COVID-19 post complications. But she can undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count), chest x-ray, CT (computed tomography) scan or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the chest, pulmonary function test, ECHO (electrocardiogram), etc., to exclude other respiratory or cardiac issues.

If she suffers from shortness of breath due to insufficient oxygen supply at high altitude during flying, inform the flight attendants, they will manage oxygen therapy for her, or she can carry oxygen therapy if needed.

She can make air traveling, but it will be wise to determine the underlying causes of dyspnea other than COVID-19 complications.

In case of any other query, ask me.

|