Q. My ear is unblocked and hurts less than before after I noticed some drainage. What is happening?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I have been very sick with a cold for the past five days and just yesterday I got an ear infection. It did not hurt that much but my ear was so blocked that it was highly uncomfortable. Today I noticed some drainage, which I immediately looked up and saw that it meant a broken eardrum and I should contact a doctor immediately, but after about an hour or two of drainage, my ear is unblocked and hurts less than it did before. What is happening and what should I do?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Because of cold, you must be having some ear infection as well. Due to recurrent cold, your eustachian tube is blocked and caused reduce ventilation of ear and hence there was pus formation in the ear. This continues pus formation has broken the tympanic membrane and came outside yesterday. You may consult an ENT specialist who can examine your ear and you need a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for seven days. Also you should take decongestants for five days.

| 

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »

I have white rashes on my throat and also fever and throat pain. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My throat is showing white rashes all over. I do not know what that is. Now, I have fever and throat pain also. The ear is closing and opening sometimes. I consulted a doctor earlier. She prescribed me Metorda 500 antibiotics for bacterial infection.  Read Full »

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »