Ear Blockage

I have tinnitus in ear. Is there anything I can do

Query: Hello doctor, I had an otitis media with effusion a year back. Meaning, a bit more than a year ago. My ears never cleared properly. If I move my jaw or even slightly yawn, I hear dramatic crackling sounds from my ears. They do not feel very blocked, and my hearing is fine. However, I do still have ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be due to eustachian tube block. Did you ever get tympanometry done? If yes can you send me reports, tympanometry is done to check middle ear pressure (which is not maintained in eustachian tube block). Eustachian tube block can be due to allergy or due to si...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for ear block due to cold?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking antibiotics for my bad cold. My nasal passages and mucus are getting better. But, my left ear in which I had ear infection is still clogged. It has been clogged for four days and is really hard to hear through. I can pop my ear but then it goes back to clogged shortly after. P...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ear block is due to eustachian tube block that occurs during cold or upper respiratory tract infection. Due to the block middle ear ventilation and drainage are hampered. This causes the ear block feeling.You may follow these suggestions. Continue the antibiotics...  Read Full »

Does elevated ESR cause any infections?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to do CBC test before each time when I go for a travel and this time also, I did the same. Can anyone please tell me if these reports are fine? Or if I am suffering from any disease as some values are out of range. I am taking tablet Telday 40 mg in the evening for the blood press...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and everything is fine except ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) which is slightly elevated, but it is acceptable to have it. Did you have a recent fever, or any other symptoms of infectio...  Read Full »

I have fluid in my middle ear. Is there any way to clear it?

Query: Hello doctor, My GP says I have fluid in my middle ear especially in my right ear. I have tried antibiotics and using a nasal spray for two weeks. This has been going on for six weeks. Is there any way to clear it or like my GP says will it just take time? Can this also make you feel slightly off ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluid in the middle ear is called serous otitis media (glue ear or otitis media with effusion). What we do in such patients is give medical management (antibiotics, decongestants, mucolytics, nasal sprays) and if it fails we go for myringotomy and grommet insertion. ...  Read Full »

Ear block and discharge remain even after antibiotic. Kindly provide suggestions.

Query: Hello doctor,I have got an ear itching five days before and went to a doctor. The doctor has told me that my ear got affected with fungus and prescribed Otinex ear drops. I continued that for three days. Initially, I got pain and liquid discharge from ears. Now, pain has gone but slight liquid disch...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Did your doctor look into the ear using an otoscope or endoscope? If so, and then he diagnosed as fungus then it is fine. In that case, continue the drops for a week and wait. Do not let water enter the ear while taking bath or swimming. In my set up, I give Ciplox (...  Read Full »

I have a moving water sensation and ringing feeling in my ear. Will this go away?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have water trapped in my left ear. I feel a moving water sensation in my left ear. I have a ringing sensation in my left ear after water got trapped in the ear. Will this ringing go away if my ear is dried? If the water is removed, then will the ringing sound stop? I do not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please tell me from how long have you been having these symptoms? Any history of nasal or throat infection in the recent past? Revert with more information to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist  Read Full »

My ear feels blocked after a suction toy was pulled on it. Can you please help?

Query: Hello doctor, My niece was playing with a toy with some kind of suction on it. She put it on my ear and pulled the suction. Now my left ear feels blocked or something. It is the same feeling as having water inside. It was painful at first (especially when I burp) but got better after a day. The pai...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Avoid water entering the said ear while bathing or swimming. We need to make sure there is no perforation of the drum. For the same, you must visit an ENT surgeon who can look into the ear through an otoscope. You can take an antihistaminic tablet to reduce fullnes...  Read Full »

My 6-year-old son coughs and remains sick most of the time. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I am looking for answers to certain questions regarding my son's health.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Kindly let me know what questions you have in your mind. For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician   Read Full »

What can cause ear blockage?

Query: Hi doctor, My right ear has been blocked a few days ago. Whenever I tried to laugh, smile or wink, the jaw line muscles went up and it pushes to block the right ear hearing. Doctor told me that it is partially ear wax blockage. But, I do not think so. I did try to put olive oil. And also I did not s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the details you have given in your query it seems to me that it is indeed wax only. As it pushes against the eardrum and further increases the block when you smile, laugh or wink, it is more likely impacted wax than anything else. However, one can be...  Read Full »

I have a weird sensation in my ear. How can I clear this?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two problems. The first is I have a weird sensation in my right ear like as if cold air is passing or cold water is coming out from the ear. But, there is nothing like that since the last one week. Probably, it started after cleaning my ear one week back. May I know what is it?...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Because of the changes in air pressure in flights, the middle ear which is a closed cavity also will have some pressure changes. So, you need to protect your ears during a flight. So, you will feel a popping sensation in your ear which is worse when ...  Read Full »