Q. I feel that there is water in my ear after cold exposure. Please help.

Published on Jun 12, 2019

A month ago I was at an outside chlorinated hot springs but it was really cold and windy. I remember saying my ear is so cold like freezing so we went inside. Ever since that day it feels like water is in my ear. Sometimes worse than ever. Then I got a head cold and both my ears felt clogged. But the ear that got super cold still feels like water is in it even after the cold has mostly cleared up. I went to my family doctor and they said it was red in my ear canal but they do not see an infection or water in it. What do you think? If for some reason it is compacted, could that be seen?

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Do you have pain or decreased hearing? Did he rule out wax and outer ear infection? Could he see the ear drum?

| 

I have pain on occasion and I do feel like sometimes things sound muffled. Can they rule out wax and outer ear infection by looking in ear? She said it does not look infected but is red and asked me if I was sticking anything in there for which the answer is no. She also said the ear drum looks good.

#

An ENT surgeon or specialist can look into the ears using a head light and make all that out. Sometimes the canal can be edematous or tortuous and the specialist would need an otoscope or ear endoscope to see the details. But if your doctor has said the drum is fine then mostly the problem is due to the canal redness or inflammation.

Sometimes, when water goes inside and then subsequently we put some q-tips inside, it can cause diffuse inflammation. Probably that is what has occured with you. Keep your ears dry for two weeks. Instill Ciprofloxacin with Dexamethasone ear drops into the ear thrice daily. Insill three drops each time. Do not put any thing else into the ear. Keep a thick Vaseline soaked cotton plug inside the ear while bathing and remove it after bathing. Take an antihistaminic (Allegra or Zyrtec) once daily for few weeks. Allergy can also worsen the symptoms you face. Do revert back to us. When there is pain you may take Tylenol SOS.

| 

Will varicose veins cause any complications during endoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. I also have multiple heart problems which are right bundle branch block, bicuspid aortic valve, high blood pressure, and patent foramen ovale. I also have Barrett's esophagus and this week, I am going in for an endosco...  Read Full »

Please help with my allergic reaction to cherries.

Query: Hi doctor, I had an allergic reaction after eating fresh cherries last night. My eyes began itching and then swelled up. It also started tearing. I woke up this morning with mild swelling on the inner parts of my eyes. I have attached the photo for your reference. Please help.  Read Full »

Can mold cause ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full »