Q. Can you suggest an effective cure for my ear pain?

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

I am having a headache along with congestion and confusion as well as an ear pain like if there is some pressure on it. I am not sure if this is an allergy like sinusitis because I barely have any other symptoms than I mentioned above.

Sometimes, I feel a dry throat, but I think that is due to taking less fluids. I had this a few weeks before and had a stuffy nose. I got well in the middle, but it came back. I will mention the environmental conditions that I am currently living in. The weather is really dry and cold air blows mostly.

Since there have been barely any rain in the past weeks, as well as there is a high proportion of pollen and pollution in the area as well. I have been to the doctor during the initial days of this problem, she prescribed me an antihistamine (Loratadine).But, I just took it for a day as I felt anxious and had panic attacks, which I believed happened due to its adverse effects.

Currently, I am relying on the home remedies like steam inhalation and use of warm cloth on ears to relieve the ear pain. I need an urgent help to cure this because it is killing my productivity and preventing me to think and work efficiently. I am a high school student who will be having mid-year examinations in a couple of weeks.

Dr. Srinidhi Ravi

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

From what you describe, it sounds like you may have an ear infection.

In the initial stages of an ear infection, there will be severe ear pain, a feeling of blocked sensation in the ear, decreased hearing, fever and this usually happens along with a severe cold or sinusitis.

In case of rupture of the ear drum due to severe infection, there might be a slight blood or pus discharge from the ear along with a decrease in ear ache.

In case of an ear infection, you will need antibiotics, which you can get after visiting an ENT surgeon for examination.

I suggest the following medicines to help you. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

1. Tablet Diclofenac, to be taken after food twice a day.
  2. Otrivin nose drops (Xylometazoline) to be used thrice a day for only five days. Any further use is likely to worsen your symptoms.
  3. Antihistamine tablet like Fexofenadine or Levocetirizine once at night.
  4. If you are prone to acidity, then I suggest capsule Omeprazole once in the morning in empty stomach as the Diclofenac may cause side effects.

Apart from these medicines you need to do steam inhalation thrice a day. Drink plenty of warm fluids.

For further information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|