Q. Can TMJ cause ear pain by hitting a nerve or pressing the eustachian tube?

I am a 35-year-old male. I have facial pain, and I do not take any medications for the issue. I took an MRI.

I need an opinion of my results of MRI brain. I am hoping to get a good look at my TMJ issues and any nerve issues. I got a report that said, few deep white matter T2 signal hyperintense foci. What does it mean?

Everything I read about the white matter is bad. I am consulting with a specialist on that. Is it something to worry about? Is it possible to look for the position of TMJ with an MRI?

Thanks for your help.

#

I have gone through your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

It is normal but small hyperintensity may be due to decreased blood flow to the small areas in the brain. It might be due to migraine headache that leads to spasm of blood vessels resulting in ischemia. It could also be due to arteriosclerosis, lipohyalinosis, or fibrinoid necrosis.I suggest you the following investigations to rule out the cause,

1) MRI angio.

2) Fasting lipid profile.

3) c-ANCA (classical antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody).

4) p-ANCA (perinuclear antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody).

5) ANA (antinuclear antibody).

6) Carotid doppler.

7) Viral load.

8) Echocardiogram.

9) Blood pressure.

Also check your blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Do not worry your TM joint looks normal here. So please review with reports or consult with your neurophysician he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I have one more question. My TMJ seems to be causing severe ear pain and eustachian tube dysfunction. Is there anything in the MRI that suggests that the jaw is hitting a nerve or pressing the eustachian tube? I am having a lot of tingling in the teeth as well as the facial area. It worsens after eating. You said the TMJ is in the correct position and has not moved forward or backward?

Thanks.

#

In your MRI, there are no osseous and calvarial abnormalities. Usually, TMJ problems present like pain while chewing or opening the mouth, and pain may radiate to the ear. Also, allergy may cause eustachian tube blockage resulting in pain. There are possibilities of trigeminal neuralgia to present with these symptoms.

I suggest you avoid cool drinks and food that aggravate your problem. Take tablet Levocetirizine twice daily for five days, continue B complex medicines, and do steam inhalation thrice daily for five days.

Also, get an x-ray of TMJ to rule out the pathologies.

If there is no improvement, consult your neurologist to examine and treat you with the neuropathy drugs like Carbamazepine.

Would you please update with your reports?

Take care.

|