Q. Can you recommend some medicine for earache?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2019

My wife who is 27 years old having cold since 3-4 days. Right now she is having severe earache. I have already given her painkiller like Combiflam and Nicip. Also gave her cough syrup Benadryl. The earache is very severe and she is not able to bear it. Can you recommend some medicine? Thank you.

#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concern.

Your wife might be having throat infection which has spread to the internal ear.

This infection is causing congestion and severe ear pain. As you have already given her oral analgesic drugs they will take some time to act.

I suggest you to use any of the analgesic (pain reliever) ear drops like Otic ear drops (Ofloxacin) which acts internally in the ear and will bring down her pain.

Otic ear drops application:

1. Make her lie down with affected ear upwards. Now gently pull the ear upwards and backwards. Put the prescribed drops (1 or 2) in the ear.
  2. Do not touch the open end of the ear drops. Now tell her to lie down like that for 15-20 minutes.
  3. Allergic reactions are rare, but if she develops any reaction like redness or rash in the ear or dizziness, breathing difficulty, swelling over tongue or face, discontinue the use and immediately consult a physician.

|