Q. Can you recommend some medicine for earache?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
Published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2019

My wife who is 27 years old having cold since 3-4 days. Right now she is having severe earache. I have already given her painkiller like Combiflam and Nicip. Also gave her cough syrup Benadryl. The earache is very severe and she is not able to bear it. Can you recommend some medicine? Thank you.

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concern.

Your wife might be having throat infection which has spread to the internal ear.

This infection is causing congestion and severe ear pain. As you have already given her oral analgesic drugs they will take some time to act.

I suggest you to use any of the analgesic (pain reliever) ear drops like Otic ear drops (Ofloxacin) which acts internally in the ear and will bring down her pain.

Otic ear drops application:

1. Make her lie down with affected ear upwards. Now gently pull the ear upwards and backwards. Put the prescribed drops (1 or 2) in the ear.
  2. Do not touch the open end of the ear drops. Now tell her to lie down like that for 15-20 minutes.
  3. Allergic reactions are rare, but if she develops any reaction like redness or rash in the ear or dizziness, breathing difficulty, swelling over tongue or face, discontinue the use and immediately consult a physician.

Why did I get pain after a long walk?

Query: Hello doctor, I walked for around 10 km two days back. I am not a habitual walker. I felt cramp twice in my right leg during first 3 km and after stretching it was better. Then I consumed fair amount of water. But, after 24 hours I got severe pain in calf muscles and there is slight swelling. Plea...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Oflox OZ in an infant for severe loose stools?

Query: Hello doctor, My kid is 11 months old and he had more than 20 loose motions in one day today. He has never had this kind of a severe problem. In his bad days, he might have had 10 motions but they were not as loose and watery as today. He is currently on Taxim O, Sporlac, and En...  Read Full »

Dolo 650 MG Tablet

Article Overview: Dolo 650 is the most common medicine used during a fever and to relieve mild to moderate pain. Because of the tablets ability to reduce fever and pain, it is called an antipyretic and analgesic agent. The antipyretic action is achieved by inhibiting the production of prostaglandin and by increasing the loss of heat from the body. This tablet inhibits the signals of pain that are sent to the brain, as a result, the pain experienced by the person is reduced after taking it. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Pharmacologist

Overview of Dolo 650 Dolo 650 is the most common medicine used during a fever and to relieve mild to moderate pain. Because of the tablets ability to reduce fever and pain, it is called an antipyretic and analgesic agent. The antipyretic action is achieved by inhibiting the production of prostaglan...  Read Article