Q. How to get rid of the pus and pressure inside my ears?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I had a middle ear infection in my left ear two days ago, and I was prescribed antibiotics. I am experiencing a lot of pressure inside my ears, and there is pain at the touch. I could feel a lot of liquid inside my ears. While sleeping, I could feel crusty bits of pus inside my ears. I am taking Amoxicillin 875 mg twice daily for the last two days. How should I clean the pus inside my ears, and will the pressure relieve over time?

Kindly help.

#

Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern.

Middle ear infection starts with inflammation in the middle ear, causing pain and fullness due to the slow accumulation of pus. Once the pus has reached a particular limit and has no other way to go, it makes its way out through the eardrum causing copious discharge to accumulate in the ear canal resulting in crusting and itching.

I suggest you continue the antibiotics for atleast five days to control the entire infection. And do not allow any water to enter the ear as it can further flare up the condition. Refrain from cleaning the ear canal on your own for the same reason. The discharge coming out can be cleaned with a moist clean cotton swab.

I hope this answers your query.

Warm regards.

|