Q. I have ear pain while moving my jaw forward. Why?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

I have had an earache for over two years. There is no pus or flaking and it is most noticeable when I move my jaw forward. Occasionally, it flares up and my jaw and teeth and whole right side of my face hurt. When I plug my nose and close my mouth and blow out to increase the pressure in my ears, I can feel the eardrum of the ear blow out just fine so I do not think it is a eustachian tube issue. I was put on antibiotic eardrops once and they did nothing. I even had a doctor look at my ear and he said nothing seemed out of the ordinary. What could it be?

#

The most probable cause for the symptoms is due to temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ dysfunction). The TMJ is the joint which connects your jaw to the skull and helps open and close of mouth. It has several muscles attached to it which govern its opening and closure. Spasm in the muscles can lead to pain around the joint which is often referred to the ear.

You can consider the following advice:

1. Avoid having hard food requiring too much chewing. Try to chew on the opposite side.

2. Avoid opening your mouth too wide, sideways or forwards.

3. Tablet Mobizox (Diclofenac, paracetamol and Chlorzoxazone) one tablet twice daily after food for 10 days should help.

4. Hot water fomenting around the area is helpful in reducing the spasm of the muscles around the joint.

|