Q. I have pimple in my inner ear with pain. Please suggest treatment.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

I have this pimple in my inner ear and it has been eight days but until now it is still hurt. I am currently taking Mefenamic acid.

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

There could be an infection of the hair follicle in the ear as a result of which it can create excruciating pain. Besides the wax would have further got pushed toward the ear drum causing severe pain.

Plain use of antiinflammatories like Mefenamic acid alone will not bring much benefit. You will have to take antibiotics as well to handle the infection.

I suggest taking tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg one tablet two times a day for the next 1 week. Please take an antireflux tablet such as tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once in the morning before breakfast. Along with this, I suggest you to apply Candid ear drops three drops thrice a day. Continue Mefenamic acid one tablet two times a day. Keep your ear dry and do not allow water to enter the ear. Stop swimming for another two weeks until the ear completely heals. Please do not attempt to clean the ear at any cost as the infection can further flare-up.

| 

Popping my pimples has caused a big red bump. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female. From the last five years, I have acne. It had reduced a bit. But, recently I started to get white heads and papules. I then popped my papule and white head area. Now, it has become red and swollen and it is burning. I have applied cold water and aloe vera ge...  Read Full »

I have ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.  Read Full »

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »