Q. What causes pain in ear with green discharge?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

My father is experiencing pain in his ear and has a green discharge. Is this an emergency case? The pain started 4 days ago. And he takes Biogesic and Mefenamic for the pain. But the pain did not stop. What can we do about his condition?

#

There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity that we daily come across. There would have been an infection in the ear drum (acute otitis media) and green ear discharge is usually relatable to organism pseudomomas aeruginosa. You can consider the following advice.

A. Tablet containing combination of Cefpodoxime 200mg and Potassium Clavilunate 125 mg one tablet two times a day after food 12 hours apart for 1 week. This is an antibiotic and can cause loose motions. If the loose motions get too severe you can take probiotics 2 times a day for 1 week.

B. Tablet Sinarest (or its equivalent) one tablet two times a day after food 12 hours apart for 1 week.

C. Tablet Ultracet (or its equivalent) one tablet at night after food for next 1 week.

D. Tablet Pan D (or its equivalent) one tablet once in the morning before breakfast for next 1 week.

E. Keep the ear dry, refrain from using ear buds.

In otitis media, you will develop a very excruciating pain in the ear which comes down with discharge. This typically rakes around 3 days for things to heal if this antibiotic has worked for you. Make sure that if your symptoms do not reduce within next few days, it is better get your self examimed by and ENT specialist to re-evaluate and treat you. If there is anything more you need to know or enquire, please do let me know at the earliest and we will get back soon. As I said there is nothing too serious out there and you need not worry as things should be fine in a few days. Please do take adequate care.

|