Q. My wife is three weeks pregnant. Why is she not showing any signs of pregnancy?

Published on May 24, 2017

My wife had a severe cough, for which she took antibiotics for a week. She missed her periods the following month, and the home pregnancy test was positive. So, we did a urine pregnancy test in the doctor's office, which was also positive. But, it has been three weeks, still, she is not showing any signs of pregnancy. Is there anything abnormal about all this? Please give your suggestions.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I do not see any reason for you to be worried about the cough, fever and the antibiotics. Most of the antibiotics and medicines for respiratory infection are safe in pregnancy.

Why are you not getting an ultrasound scan done? Why are you stressing yourself waiting for the signs of pregnancy? In this era of great scientific advances, gestational sac and baby's heartbeat can be seen on the scan as early as six weeks, and it will clear all your doubts.

It will also tell you the exact size of the baby, number of babies and about any early bleeding problems.

Only if the scan is inconclusive, we advise for blood serum hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin).

Hope I have clarified your doubt, do write back if you have any more queries.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for replying. Our doctor has asked us to come on the 58th day for the scan. My wife has a slight back pain and stomach ache sometimes. Do I need to be worried?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Back pain and stomach ache are usually seen in early pregnancy, and there is nothing to be worried.

The uterus has the baby inside and is slowly expanding and stretching out. It will cause a pull to the uterus surroundings, which will cause an aching kind of pain towards the lower back area.

• No need for any medication, she can try having a hot water bath with lots of salt in it, this will give some relief.
  • If you are very anxious about the pregnancy, get the scan done now. Why wait for almost another week? After the scan, the doctor will give you some progesterone hormone pills; this will relax the muscles around the uterus.
  • It will also prevent any bleeding or abortions, and relieve her of the pains. What if she gets a spotting in this waiting period? It could be a normal finding, but enough to spoil your peace of mind for few more days.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

We took a scan, and it looks fine. She had tender coconut, pomegranate, and apple. Now, she has got cold and throat infection. Please suggest will it affect her in any way. Also, please let me know if tender coconut and pomegranate can be taken daily.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There are a lot of false beliefs like pineapple or dates or papaya can cause abortion. There is no food or any drink in this world that can cause abortion.

God does not give away the baby so easily. Your wife can take anything on earth confidently without any fear, and it will not affect either her pregnancy or the baby. All fruits and juices are good for the baby.

During pregnancy, the only problem is the infection. So, you should try to correct infections soon.

1. Have steam inhalation as many times a day you want for a week or so. Have only warm or hot food till delivery.
  2. I suggest tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once a day before food for five days. This antibiotic is safe throughout pregnancy.
  3. Also, ask her to do salt water gargling thrice daily.

Do not worry. These type of infections do come repeatedly to any person but see to that it does not become serious.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for your advice. I thought tender coconut and pomegranate daily could cause cold and throat infection. She is already taking antibiotics as per doctor advice. Please let me know if this will have impact at this point of time. She is having second scan by next weekend.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Trust me; nothing will happen. She can have it daily as it is an excellent source of iron, electrolytes and improves the blood levels of hemoglobin.
  • The scan will be fine. All the best.

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

Faint T Lines Appearing On Urine Pregnancy Tests,While Ultrasounds Say I Am Not Pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for a few months, but every time the test comes back negative. My last periods was on the 25th of last month, and I started ovulating on the third of this month, and it ended on the 12th. My husband and I had sex on the fifth. Despite my history of irregular...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vidya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two possibilities here. One is a chemical pregnancy, where only the pregnancy test result come positive, and there is no evidence of sac on ultrasound. Second being a healthy pregnancy is a delayed conception or an ectopic. I suggest you do a serum beta hCG b...  Read Full

I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the urine pregnancy test was done after eight days post missed menses was negative then you are not pregnant. However, to be double sure, you may opt for a serum beta hCG test, where if the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU, then you can be sure that you are not pre...  Read Full