Q. Does eating unusually than before indicate an eating disorder?

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

My child is eating unusually than before, and I came to find this last week. She is 14-years-old, her weight is 49 kgs, and her height is 5 feet and 2 inches. She is eating twice what she was having before and with too many mini-break snacks. I have tried to limit her food, but she says she is hungry. Is this an eating disorder, or is she facing problems in the stomach? She got her first periods 11 months ago, so could it be related? She has not gained weight due to excessive eating, but I am concerned about this new change.

#

Adolescent tends to have a good diet. You can give her healthy food, including fruits, salads, etc., and fewer junk foods. If she is active, there is no need to worry. Check blood sugar if you find more thirst, more urination, etc. You can see a weight-to-height chart to know if she is overweight. Take care.

|