Q. How to make my 9-month-old baby eat his food?

Dr. Prakash Chandra Girdhar Lal Nagar
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have a nine-month-old baby and my child takes bottle feeding. I am trying to give him food. I am trying to help him to learn eating habits. He is staying in my care during the day and I am facing a difficult time to make him eat. He screams and spits the food out. Please suggest.

#

I can understand your concern and the difficulties you are facing. I am really happy to know that you want to help the child to learn eating habits. Start with a weaning food and make them pasty. Go slowly and make thicker and thicker and then give solid foods. Start with one type of food and give it for a couple of days to develop taste and then add another. Kids have some preference over taste and try to find the taste that your child prefers. Never force him to eat and just give him food slowly. Let him play while taking food and in between try to put food in his mouth. Let him spit and do not worry about it. As he is dependent on bottle-feeding, give him bottle feeding and weaning food alternatively. At this age, kids need food or milk every three to four hours. I am confident that you will definitely able to help him and he will start feeding soon normally.

|