Q. I have fast heartbeat. Is my ECG normal?

Dr. Isaac Gana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2019

I was recently told that I have nothing to worry about with my heart but when I received a copy of my ECG online I see a number of odd beats and am looking for a second opinion. My heart feels like it stops for a second and then there is a number of fast beats followed by a very strong one. I am currently taking Effexor 37.5x3, Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and Saxenda 3 mg.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I have gone through your ECG results (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There PVCs. Majority of the time, they are of benign origin and does not pose a threat. Some of the common causes could include taking tobacco, alcohol, caffeine. High blood pressure, anxiety and rarely heart diseases could also be a cause. In your case the Effexor you are using could make you experience more PVCs. Should it continue to occur more frequently, you might have to talk to your doctor to adjust the dosage or substitute it. You will be fine, no need for worry.

| 

Can Strattera and Effexor be taken together?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking Effexor XR 300 mg for depression. It has been working really well. My psychiatrist has now prescribed me Strattera for ADHD. I am about to start 25 mg and work my way upto 80 mg over a few weeks. Strattera and Effexor both seem to inhibit Norepinephrine reuptake. Is i...  Read Full »

When will dizziness and brain zaps stop after discontinuing Venlafaxine?

Query: Dear doctor, I have stopped taking my medications, Effexor 75 mg for a few days. I am wondering when my dizziness and brain zaps would stop.  Read Full »

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full »