Q. I have a painful bleeding skin on the side of thumb and forefinger. What could this be?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

I have a very painful skin condition on the sides of my thumbs and forefingers. It started months ago and is steadily getting worse and spreading to other fingers. I also have it on one of my toes. The nails have gone very thick and have a chalky formation under the nail. This is not painful but I have lots of tiny water-filled pockets under the skin that eventually crack and bleed. I have to wear plasters on my fingers to stop the infection as the skin is constantly splitting and bleeding.

My doctor has prescribed me four creams over the last four months. They are Betnovate, Dermovate, Lotriderm, and Fucibet, but none have worked. I am very aware that these creams need to be used very sparingly but my skin seems very thin so I have stopped using the last cream he prescribed (Fucibet) as I am worried that it may give me lasting damage. Like all of us with medical problems, I have been online and I am pretty sure that I have discoid eczema. I have been waiting for a dermatologist appointment for two months, I cannot wait any longer. What do you think and what treatment, if any, can I get?

#

I have seen the pictures. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, this is eczema only and you are using the correct cream, but the problem is that it is a very resistant condition, so it takes time to get resolved. You should avoid touching soap, detergent, chemical cement, or any other chemicals.

You have to take oral steroids also to get faster relief. Also, use good moisturizer frequently. Can apply Fucibet (Fusidic acid and Betamethasone) cream and put some cover over the finger to allow the cream goes deeper. Also, use moisturizer at least three to four times a day, if you feel itching then you should take Levocetirizine 10 mg.

I take it but I can get oral steroids only by prescription from my doctor? Is this the Levocetirizine 10 mg that you mentioned or something else?

#

Levocetirizine 10 mg is anti-allergic. It subsides allergy and itching. Oral steroid you will not get with out a prescription. You need to consult a doctor to get a prescription.

|