Q. I have skin rash that led to open wounds. What is it?

Answered by
Dr. Shama Naaz
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 23, 2020

I've gone to the dermatologist once and my doctor's office once where there was a dermatologist there. I had gotten some kind of rash I have never seen before on my skin which led to open wounds I thought I had some kind of bugs both of them told me it was eczema. Which it could be but then with some further investigation I read online that some flies can get into your skin either through open wounds or some other ways.

I had looked up flies because I noticed little black dots on my wounds and I noticed tiny black flies in my house especially near my sink and such. This is the second time above my eye has blown up and when I tried to squeeze it it looks like tiny worms coming out. I really don't know what to do and I'm scared and need help please. I know that I had eczema when I was a baby once but it was way different looking on this. The dermatologist prescribed medication which was a steroid and it did'nt go away. It gets worse at times especially when I think the larva is in me. I am taking birth control pill, adderall and sometimes klonopin for medication.


Hi, welcome to icliniq, Don’t worry, lets look into your symptoms one by one- You complained of a skin rash, that led to open wounds. You have not mentioned the duration of symptoms. You are suspecting this to be due to flies. Myiasis is the infestation by maggots (larvae) of houseflies , which feed on dead tissues, it is a rare condition usually seen in patients who have poor immunity (like in HIV or diabetic patients), old age or poor hygiene and those who are unable to take care of themselves.

The chances of myiasis in healthy individuals with good immunity , who take proper care and maintain hygiene is very low. You also complained of swelling in your eye lid and after squeezing, worm like things came out. I think the swelling might be a stye/ infected chalazion ( bacterial infection of gland in eyelid) and releases cheese like material, which is actually a secretion of gland that has build up inside. It will go away by applying warm compresses over your eyelid. And please send me a picture of your skin problems, it would help me further to proceed towards a particular diagnosis.

Regarding follow up:

With proper photos

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Scaly and itchy rashes on my ankle does not subside with Penicillin. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a skin rash on my ankle. It has been there for six months now. I have tried Penicillin, steroid antifungal cream, and cider vinegar as well but it is slowly getting bigger. It is itchy with scaly flaky skin. I feel some fluid inside the red raised dots when I scratch it. It star...  Read Full »

Are body pain, headache and skin rashes symptoms of dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 10 years old. For the past eight days, she has been suffering from body pain, headache, and some skin irritation. Her doctor said that it is pitta acidity. There is no improvement till date. Last year, during rainy season, she had some face and body irritation problem, whic...  Read Full »

Are itchy skin rashes, abdominal cramps and nausea symptoms of an allergic reaction?

Query: Hello doctor, I am very itchy. One time my finger itched in the same spot for like two or three days intermittently, then it was my foot. I have also developed skin rashes that come and go. Doctors say it is either eczema or some kind of skin condition or bug bite. These rashes come and go, one doc...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.