Q. Why do I feel like back top of throat is being sucked down after episode of sore throat?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

When I create suction in the back of my throat as if to pull the snot into my mouth, essentially to clear it and hock a loogie. I feel like the back top of my throat is being sucked down. Like a flap of skin or a little bullfrog action then it goes back when I stop. Not painful but uncomfortable and disconcerting. Started today but had a little sore throat for about a week.

#

Can you please send me a picture of your throat and oral cavity? It can be due to throat infection which will cause edema of throat and uvula and you will feel as if something is stuck in your throat. Also, let me know if phlegm trickles down from nasopharynx to throat or if you have headache (to rule out sinusitis).

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Some trickle. Dry and painful in the morning, then usually hock up a large pretty hard grey loogie and it feels better the rest of the day. Just this morning though it felt different when I tried to clear it. Like there was skin (labia shaped for lack of a better description) being sucked down from my nasal cavity to the back of my upper throat, then when I release the sucking pressure the labia or bubble snaps back. No real headache.

#

Your throat is congested and uvula is enlarged because of congestion which is causing symptoms (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is nothing to worry. You should take a decongestant like Phenylephrine or Pseudoephedrine (plain Sudafed or Sudafed PE) twice daily for three days and anti-inflammatory enzymes like Trypsin, Chymotrypsin twice daily for five days. Also, steam inhalation will help.

|