Q. I am HIV positive and on Atroiza. How to deal with the side-effects of Atroiza?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

I am an asymptomatic HIV positive male with a CD4 count of 320. I started on Atroiza and Cotrimoxazole two days back. But yesterday I drunk and could not sleep and sat outside at night because I could not breathe properly.

My problem is, I am in holiday now. My night shift job starting is starting soon. I do not think I can cope with these new side effects on this job. I really need this job, but I am afraid to stop the treatment after two days and for the duration of the holidays, as it may make the virus resistant. Please help.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

welcome to icliniq.com.

Atroiza is a combination of three drugs (Efavirenz, Tenofovir DF, Emtricitabine) for the treatment of HIV. Among which, Efavirenz is the drug known to cause such side effects.

These side effects of insomnia, vivid thinking, night time issues are temporary and would last for the first two weeks after starting the therapy. It would be advisable not to stop ART (antiretroviral therapy) as there are high chances of developing resistance.

You can instead consider replacing Efavirenz with another drug called Nevirapine, which does not have these side effects.

Kindly mention your HBsAg, Anti HCV (hepatitis C antibody test), VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory test), and tuberculosis status as they may affect the treatment too.

Consider replacing Efavirenz with Nevirapine after discussing it with the physician.

| 

Started PEP after 66 hours of unprotected sex. Will it be helpful?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex and have consulted a doctor after that. He told me to go for PEP immediately. So, I started PEP after three days of exposure with one Tablet of Lamivudine and Zidovudine along with one Efavirenz tablet. I have taken PEP after 66 hours of exposure. Will it be helpful?...  Read Full »

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full »

AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome)

Article Overview: AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome) is the most advanced stage of HIV infection. AIDS is defined by the presence of at least one major and two minor infections and not related to CD4 count. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) causes HIV and AIDS. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
HIV AIDS Specialist

AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome) is the most advanced stage of HIV infection. AIDS is defined by the presence of at least one major and two minor infections and not related to CD4 count. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) causes HIV and AIDS. There are two types of HIV, which are HIV-1 and...  Read Article

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now