Q. Can cocaine get attached to sperm and affect the baby?

Dr. Sonal Prasad

I had a question regarding Cocaine use. I have never used it before and did a few lines on a bachelor party. I clearly was not thinking and impregnated my wife within 24 to 48 hours of use. How concerning is this? I also had multiple drinks of alcohol.

#

The sperms ejaculated are formed 3 to 5 days before the actual sex process. If you have never used them before and used it only a few hours before sex then there should be no problem of malformations in the baby. Neither is alcohol. I must emphasize though that as you might already know, cocaine use is significantly detrimental for your own health and must be avoided.

My main concern is that I was reading a study that was performed in rats, that showed that cocaine can actually get attached to the healthy sperm and travel into the egg. Have you heard anything similar?

#

I have read about them. But, it is not applicable to the sperm which has already formed. The effect of Cocaine is on the newly formed sperms. Additionally, the mechanism of fertilization is different in human and rodents. In rodents, the whole of the sperm enters the ovum while in humans only the head portion of the sperm enters the egg. So, no need to worry.

You are sure that it is fine, right?

#

If you have used it only once, your baby will not be affected. No need to be worried. Happy parenting.

I read that the half-life of Cocaine is 15 to 50 hours in urine. It is completely excreted out of the system in less than a week. Now, please advise.

#

Though urine and sperm to come out from the same outer area (your penis), the internal system for transport of urine is quite different from that of semen. Moreover, as I told you, the sperms are already formed in your case. You need not worry. Your baby will not have the effect of Cocaine if it was only used once.

|