Q. Has my decreased water intake led to a kidney stone formation?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

How long does it take to form a kidney stone? I am a hypochondriac and for the last year, I have not been drinking a lot of water. I stay away from high oxalate foods like beans, potatoes, spinach, etc. I am in my mid-thirties and I do not have any related past or family history.

I was just thinking about it because my water intake for the last year has been horrible but prior to that, I was drinking almost a gallon a day.

#

Thank you for your query and I understand your concern.

Actually, it takes months to years to form a stone, usually, in four to five months the formation starts and it continues to form. In eight to nine months or in a year, the person starts experiencing symptoms.

I would suggest you go for an ultrasound to check the size of the stone and its location, if present.

Accordingly, medication can be given. For a small stone, like 6 mm, no intervention is required but if a stone is large the surgery can be done.

If you have already got the ultrasound done then kindly send me the reports.

Thanks for your response.

For what do I need medication? Will it help me to get rid of the stone?

#

Yes, the medication will help the stone to dissolve.

Just get an ultrasound done to know the size of the stone then treatment can be given accordingly.

I have never heard of this before.

Can you tell me the name of the medication that can dissolve stones?

#

Yes, in my country it is named as the syrup Alkasol (Disodium hydrogen phosphate). It helps in dissolving renal stone if the stone is small in size so get the ultrasound done to check the size of the stone and then you can send me the reports. I will check and prescribe medicine accordingly.

Thank you so much for the information.

#

If you have any other query then please let me know.

Do you mean that the medication works even if the stone is just sitting in my kidneys and not causing any symptoms? The medication dissolves it, as in making it smaller, right? If I get an ultrasound done we can know if I can use the medication to break down the stone. Am I right?

#

Yes, you got it right.

Is it true what this doctor said about drinking water and stones? He said drinking plenty of water will decrease already formed stones with time by pressure and they will decrease in size.

#

Yes sir. It’s true as well.

Would you be able to prescribe sleeping medication? I don't have a primary health doctor and I can't sleep to save my life. I keep waking up and can't stay asleep.

#

Thank you for writing and I understand your concern. Sir, actually you won’t be able to get sleeping medicine with online prescription, for that you need prescription from doctor in person. And to improve sleep you do meditation and yoga, it will help. Avoid caffeine and all. And don’t use phone before going to bed. Eat plenty of vegetables and drink water. All these things will help. Do you have any anxiety? If yes what kind of anxiety? Please let me know.

|