Q. Can medicines cause sudden weight gain during pregnancy?

Image: Can medicines cause sudden weight gain during pregnancy?

My wife is 28 weeks pregnant. I am having doubts regarding medication which she is taking.

Our consultant prescribed the following three medicines from first week of her pregnancy.

• Tablet Promocal (calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium).
  • Tablet Ferofer (Sodium feredetate with vitamins and zinc).
  • Tablet Gestofit 300 mg SR (progesterone sustained release).

We went for a regular checkup last week. At that time my wife's BP was 120/60 and weight 84 kg. Her weight is increasing randomly, around a week back she was 81 kg, and now she is 84 kg. Our consultant said this may be because of the sodium amount in diet.

After the report, our consultant now prescribed two more medicines which are:

• Tablet Delisprin 75 (Aspirin delayed release).
  • Capsules Adliv Forte (ayurvedic proprietary medicine).

Now my doubt is that whether the medicines given by the consultant are safe to use or not? Is there any chance for side effects to occur? I would like to know the exact use of each medicine.