Q. Can medicines cause sudden weight gain during pregnancy?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2021

My wife is 28 weeks pregnant. I am having doubts regarding medication which she is taking.

Our consultant prescribed the following three medicines from first week of her pregnancy.

• Tablet Promocal (calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium).
  • Tablet Ferofer (Sodium feredetate with vitamins and zinc).
  • Tablet Gestofit 300 mg SR (progesterone sustained release).

We went for a regular checkup last week. At that time my wife's BP was 120/60 and weight 84 kg. Her weight is increasing randomly, around a week back she was 81 kg, and now she is 84 kg. Our consultant said this may be because of the sodium amount in diet.

After the report, our consultant now prescribed two more medicines which are:

• Tablet Delisprin 75 (Aspirin delayed release).
  • Capsules Adliv Forte (ayurvedic proprietary medicine).

Now my doubt is that whether the medicines given by the consultant are safe to use or not? Is there any chance for side effects to occur? I would like to know the exact use of each medicine.

#

I have read and understood your problem. The increase in weight may be due to difference in clothing or other things, but if it is true increase then water is accumulating in her body.

Does she have swelling of feet? Under such a condition, salt intake is restricted. Her BP (blood pressure) is normal, so you need to check her Hb% (hemoglobin level), FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar), TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) and urine for proteinuria.

Use of medicines:

• Tablet Promocal (calcium, vitamin D3 and magnesium) is required for both baby and mother's bone health.
  • Tablet Ferofer (Sodium feredetate with vitamins and zinc) is to prevent anemia and for growth.
  • Tablet Gestofit 300 mg SR (progesterone sustained release tablet) is a progesterone support that protects pregnancy which is more commonly prescribed in first three months of pregnancy but some may use later also.
  • Tablet Delisprin 75 (Aspirin delayed release tablet 75 mg) is used to facilitate fetus-placenta transfer of oxygen and nutrients. But, there is a small risk of delayed clotting of blood if bleeding occurs and should be stopped at least a week before delivery.
  • Capsule Adliv Forte is an ayurvedic proprietary medicine. Any ayurvedic medicine should not be used in pregnancy because they contain multiple ingredients and safety of which in pregnancy is not always well studied.

Another solution to find sudden weight gain is ultrasound of pregnancy, which can be done to see if there is excess amniotic fluid/liquor amnii inside uterus.

Hb%, Fasting Blood Sugar, TSH, urine for proteinuria and ultrasound of pregnancy.

For further follow up consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online. --->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|