Q. How do antidepressants affect the fetus?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
Published on Dec 28, 2019

I am a-20-year-old female. I am pregnant and suffering from depression and my main 'trigger' is lack of sleep and tiredness. I am aware that I am having a child. I am signing up for sleepless nights so my main concern is antidepressants and the effect they might have while breastfeeding.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read your post thoroughly and I have to tell you that depression during pregnancy must be dealt with carefully. Pregnancy itself causes mood swings and there are episodes of depression, as a consequence of hormonal fluctuation. The best ways to deal with this during pregnancy vary from patient to patient depending on their level of depression.

Provided your history with this and the suicidal attempts, you may need to be on antidepressants, which even though are generally considered unsafe for the fetus, a few are of pregnancy safety category C. Meaning, category C drugs may be given when benefits outweigh the risks in your case. Needless to say, these are prescription medications and I recommend you to see a psychiatrist who can evaluate your present situation and decide on that.

Please note, that if you ever feel like you need medication during pregnancy, do not hesitate to consider the safer options because harboring something like depression can make it worse and cause more harm to the fetus than the drug itself.

I hope this is helpful.

| 

My pregnancy test is positive. Can I take Gestafine and Folvite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I did not get my period for the past five weeks and yesterday I checked for my pregnancy and it turned out to be positive. I called my gynecologist and she suggested me to take Gestafine 200 one at night. And Folvite one in the afternoon. And also, she suggested tak...  Read Full »

Will the usage of antidepressant medicines have any adverse effect on sex life?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 19 years. I am on antidepressant tablets like Paroxetine prolonged-release, Clonazepam, Mirtazapine, and Dosulepin. I have a problem with erection and do not have a sex drive. Will these medicines have any adverse effects on my sex life? What should I do?  Read Full »

Is it safe to continue taking the Nexium beyond two weeks while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. I have struggled with GERD and esophagitis for years and my gastroenterologist put me on Nexium, which is the only thing that helps. I usually do a two-week treatment every year. My pregnancy is exacerbating the GERD. I just finished a two-week Nexium treatment a...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now