Q. I am 6 weeks pergnant and I took 2500 mg of vitamin C. Will it harm my baby?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal
Published on Nov 01, 2019

I am 35 years old, and 6 weeks pregnant. I forgot to take my vitamin C supplement this morning and now I took about 2500 mg. I am worried about the baby because I do not want this to cause any damage to my baby.

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Usually, prenatal vitamins contain vitamin C and you do not need to take any extra supplement. It is better to take it in your diet in the form of citrus fruits and vegetables. However, there are different studies and some recommend a higher dose in pregnancy but the maximum dose is 2000 mg in a day. Take care in the future. It is important to take folic acid at this stage and rather starting it from pre conceptional time.

What is more important is to consult your doctor regularly. Considering your age (35 years), you may get a double marker test at 9-11 weeks to see the safety and any chromosomal anomaly in the baby followed by the level 1 scan.

Can vitamin C induce periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am approximately 95 kg weight. I am in need of emergency contraception due to failed birth control. I will be ovulating tomorrow, so I am at a high risk of unwanted pregnancy. I obtained and took a 1.5 mg dose of Levonorgestrel (Plan B pill); however I have...  Read Full »

My pregnancy test is positive. Can I take Gestafine and Folvite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I did not get my period for the past five weeks and yesterday I checked for my pregnancy and it turned out to be positive. I called my gynecologist and she suggested me to take Gestafine 200 one at night. And Folvite one in the afternoon. And also, she suggested tak...  Read Full »

Is it safe to continue taking the Nexium beyond two weeks while pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. I have struggled with GERD and esophagitis for years and my gastroenterologist put me on Nexium, which is the only thing that helps. I usually do a two-week treatment every year. My pregnancy is exacerbating the GERD. I just finished a two-week Nexium treatment a...  Read Full »