Q. Will using electric toothbrush make teeth even looser?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Hey doctor,

I have bought an electric toothbrush because a dental hygienist said he would recommend it as I have gum disease. The bleeding has stopped tremendously after regular brushing and help from the dental hygiene. My question is, because I have a few loose teeth at the bottom, will using an electric toothbrush make them even looser? Just because of the power of it.

Do you have a question on Electric Toothbrush or Periodontitis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

BDS., JR ORAL MEDICINE AND RADIOLOGY
Dentistry

Yes, it will because it does not have the same control as your hand will do. Not till you keep it as controlled as possible but it is a mechanical device. It can make your teeth more mobile if the tooth mobility is more than grade one (that means you have a slightly loose tooth). If your teeth is much mobile it will cause damage. As per your history, you are having chronic periodontitis. You need to have regular oral prophylaxis after every three to four months. So that your loose teeth will tighten properly.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Shall I opt flap surgery and bone graft for my loose tooth?
Query: Hi doctor, I am having severe toothache and loose teeth. I used to chew tobacco for the past 10 years. I am getting severe tooth pain often and some blister in the gums. My upper sixth tooth got loose and was removed three years ago. I have been to a local dentist and they advised deep scaling, root...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that the loose teeth have gone beyond repair and should be removed (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The alternative treatment plan, which is cost effective, do deep scaling first to get clean gums and teeth and then use Betadine mouthwash for ...  Read Full »

Please give a solution for an infected tooth.
Query: Hi doctor, My right tooth is infected. I have done a filling in the tooth before two years. Now, the infection has spread to the roots. I am unable to use the right side because of this problem. Please tell me the solution.  Read Full »
Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your history, you are suffering from apical periodontitis, as the infection has spread to the roots. The problem is due to pulp exposure. So you can take medication for at least three to five days. Take tablet Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) tw...  Read Full »

Though I am using electronic toothbrush, gum redness is present. Why?
Query: Hello doctor, I went to the dentist before two months. He said that I had good teeth health and gum health. The only thing is for my front teeth on the top and bottom I developed a frayed appearance around the gumline. He said this was from too much gumline and toothbrush contact and that switching ...  Read Full »
Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dentist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You have an excellent set of healthy teeth. By observing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the gums do seem to have puffiness, but only of mild nature.The brush whether electric or not does not matter, just do not touch the gums and stick to the...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now