Q. Can you please interpret my 56-year-old diabetic and hypertensive father's ECG?

Dr. Tanmai Yermal (jain)

My father is 56 years old, and he also has diabetes and BP. Can you please investigate his ECG report?

#

I investigated your ECG (electrocardiograph) (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), and it indicates that it is in sinus rhythm, normal axis, with t-wave inversion in leads v1 to v5. Overall, ECG has some minor changes, which may not be very significant.

ECG has to be correlated with his clinical presentation. Management of patient depends upon his symptoms, indication for ECG, any history of chest pain or breathing difficulty on exertion, etc.

Kindly get back to me with the above details and other available reports for further discussion and management. Take care.

Thank you for your reply.

It was only a general check-up. Can you please tell me if there is anything abnormal about the report?

#

At present, his ECG is normal, and there is nothing to worry about.

If he has symptoms of chest pain and breathlessness on exertion, we shall further evaluate him for heart disease. Otherwise, once the current COVID situation comes under control, get a 2D Echo (echocardiography) and TMT (treadmill test) done to make sure things are fine.

I would like to know about his blood pressure and diabetes control and about the medications he is taking for them?

Thank you doctor for your advice.

His diabetes value reads 135 mg/dL-before food and 190 mg/dL-after food. He is taking tablets for both diabetes and BP. Daparyl is the name of one tablet. As of now, he does not have chest pain, but he has acidity.

#

Diabetes-both fasting and PP (postprandial) values look fairly under control. But it is better to get one HbA1c test (glycated hemoglobin) report done, which shows the average sugar levels of the last three months.

Also, get a fasting Lipid profile done to check his cholesterol levels.

Keep checking his blood pressure at home intermittently to make sure it is under control on current medication.

Since he has no cardiac symptoms at present, you can get his 2D-Echo and TMT done later.

Take care and continue all current medications.

|