Elevated Bilirubin

Are elevated bilirubin and blood in urine complications of hereditary spherocytosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have hereditary spherocytosis with snapping scapula and spermatocele. Before few weeks, I took some blood tests. I had elevated levels of bilirubin and low WBC levels. Yesterday, I took a urine sample and found a large amount of blood in my urine. Is this serious? Can I have a blood di...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is a disorder that may cause an unstable RBC (red blood cells) membrane leading to produce spherical-shaped RBC. After passing through the spleen, it causes hemolysis. The common complications are anemia, jaundice, gall stones, folic acid deficiency, and apl...  Read Full »

What do elevated ALT, AST, and bilirubin levels indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I am very active and take a healthy diet. I do not take alcohol and never smoked for five years. I just did my bloodwork, and my ALT levels were 55, and bilirubin is 1.5. My AST levels are 31. I have been taking vegan protein and Ashwagandha (herbal supplement...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports are up to mark (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and there are slightly increased ALT (alanine transaminase), which is not significant to cause any symptoms. So you do not have to worry. It can be due to the medicine you are taking or...  Read Full »

Does my LFT report reveal that I suffer from jaundice?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a fatty liver as per my USG. I am non-addicted. Today, I have my LFT, hepatitis B, and C tests are done. I am very much worried after seeing my LFT report. Is it serious? Am I suffering from jaundice? I am currently on Livoriv B.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is grade I fatty liver disease, and in the scenario of a non-alcoholic behavior (as you described), this seems to be non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Yes, you have high liver en...  Read Full »

Please suggest ways to lower SGPT levels.

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 8 years old. She is suffering from jaundice for the past four months. Presently, as per her blood test, bilirubin 0.40 mg/dL, conjugated bilirubin 0.10 mg/dL, unconjugated bilirubin 0.30 mg/dL and ALT (SGPT) 57.00 U/L. The medicines she had been prescribed are Junior Lan...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To add to your knowledge, SGPT is a marker of inflammation of the liver (serum glutamic-pyruvate transaminase). Whenever there is some damage to the liver, the SGPT will rise along with serum bilirubin levels. During healing of the liver, the SGPT levels slightly raise...  Read Full »

What test should I undergo to rule out liver cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am very concerned about my liver. I have a history of alcohol use of approximately two to four beers per night, approximately five nights per week for nearly 20 years. I am under total abstinence for the past one year. My symptoms are aching pain in the back on the right side under...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Given the amount of alcohol that you are taking and the duration you have taken, it is likely that you can develop cirrhosis. But the development of cirrhosis is a gradual process, and it takes a long time before it is evident on the tests. Fibroscan is a useful modali...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to diabetes or Crohn's disease?

Query: I am a 22 year old male. I am 5 foot 7 inches and weigh about 150lb (Currently; used to weight about 175lb). I don't smoke, drink or use recreational drugs. I have some pre-existing medical issues for several years (acne, anal itching/jock itch, and sometimes have stomach cramps after eating and hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello Dear. I welcome you to icliniq. Well you very well explained your symptoms..It was palatable to read, I must say. Well your concerns are genuine but here is my take on this. You are too young to develop dm type 2, and dermatopathy is far far away to be even considered. Plus you have normal di...  Read Full »

Why does my bilirubin level raised after I turned positive for COVID-19?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male. I am tested COVID positive on 13th May. After 20 days, I go through all blood tests in which I found serum bilirubin total is 2.8, direct-0.8 and indirect-2.0 are elevated. I am always getting a fever around 99.0 and pulse rate around 95 on resting. I also hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathish Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your records (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I see that you were tested COVID positive on 13th May and your investigation was done on 30th May. It has been a month from the COVID test and two weeks passed after your LFT (liver function ...  Read Full »

How can I bring down my bilirubin levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My bilirubin level is 1.7, but I do not have any symptoms of jaundice. How can I bring the bilirubin level to normal?  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, there are certain medications that can bring bilirubin down but your bilirubin is 1.7 which is within normal limits. It does not require any treatment. The possible cause of asymptomatic small raised bilirubin is Gilbert syndrome which is completely harmless. ...  Read Full »

Other than hepatitis, what can cause increased bilirubin levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have jaundice. My biliurubin was 7.5 three weeks ago. I went to the doctor for jaundice. Weekly blood tests as of three weeks show bilirubin has been increasing. Hep test shows I do not have hepatitis. Ultrasound says no tumor bile duct coverage or stones. I took a CT scan and the r...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, your US (ultrasound) and CT (computed tomography) scan are normal which is kind of satisfying to me. Of course you suppose to have more blood tests to confirm the origin of this jaundice. Hepatitis, although common, but they are not the only one to cause live...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for stomach problem and increased bilirubin levels with normal LFT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 years old. I am a vegetarian and I weigh about 79 kg. Before three years due to stomach disturbance, yellowish urine, pain and some popup and cracker sound in my legs knee joints, I visited a doctor and he suggests me lab test of liver function test and all reports in normal r...  Read Full »

Dr. Hiren Patel

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your all reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Nothing looks like alarming except slightly low vitamin D levels. For yellow urine, I assure you it is totally insignificant as your all liver related test are normal including ...  Read Full »