Elevated Bilirubin

What causes the bilirubin level to be 1.8 persistently?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from jaundice for the last two months. One month before, my bilirubin level was 1.4. Before 15 days, the level was 1.2 and today 1.8. What is the reason for this change?  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern for the continuous high bilirubin level. Before proving you appropriate guidance, I would like to know a few more details. I guess the reports mentioned by you are total bilirubin. What about direct, indirect bilirubin and liver enzymes ...  Read Full »

What causes high bilirubin and stomach pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female and I am fairly healthy and not overweight. I have been having constant nausea and stomach discomfort for several weeks now. I occasionally get a dull ache on the right side and feel full for a long time after eating. I am very worried what this could be. I h...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of jaundice and your report also suggests the same. I would need to know Since when are you having all these symptoms? When was this bilirubin test performed? Do you have any fever? How about alcohol consumption? Fo...  Read Full »

Are 29 weeks HBsAg, HBcAb and hepatitis C antibody test results conclusive?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the conclusive timeline for hepatitis B and C testing? I have done the following tests. 1. Normal ALT and AST at 12 weeks post possible infection. 2. HBsAg at 15 weeks post possible infection. 3. HBsAg, HBcAb and HBsAb at 22 weeks post possible infection. 4. Hepatitis C an...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Normal bilirubin, as well as, normal ALT (alanine aminotransferase), and AST (aspartate aminotransferase), do not warranty that a person cannot have hepatitis B and C infection. A person infected with hepatitis B and C can have normal liver function tests. In a norma...  Read Full »

What could be the cause for elevated levels of bilirubin?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 50-year-old male, slim, and quite health conscious. Today I had a package blood test done. Other things are fine but in LFT total bilirubin is 1.47, direct bilirubin is .22, and indirect bilirubin is 1.25. SGPT and SGOT are normal. All other parameters are normal. I do not have a...  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not have any complaints. 1. Total bilirubin 1.4 2. Direct bilirubin 0.22. 3. Indirect bilirubin 1.25. Only total bilirubin is slightly elevated. For some people, if no complaints, this mild increase common need not worry.  Read Full »

Why am I having raised cholesterol levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a full blood count done and would like a second opinion on the results. It was my cholesterol which surprised me. I have never suffered from high cholesterol but over the past three years, it has kept up and recent tests showed serum cholesterol 7 mmol/L/HDL, 1.25 mmol/L/L...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I have gone through the reports you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, your cholesterol is high especially LDL. This is more worrisome. Cholesterol runs in family. So, despite a healthy lifestyle, some pat...  Read Full »

Medicine and diet plan for high bilirubin levels

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34-year-old male. I am suffering from jaundice. Last week my eyes have turned slightly yellowish and after that, I had my blood test and hepatitis test. Tests show positive, bilirubin levels are 10 mg/dl. Can you suggest me medicine and diet plan?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have possibly hepatitis which needs to be checked for the type of hepatitis. So viral serology needs to be done. Regarding diet, you have to take vegetables, fresh fruits, and avoid oily and fatty stuff. Most of the hepatitis is self-rem...  Read Full »

Why is my bilirubin level a bit higher?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old male, weigh 90 kg, height is 182, non-smoker, non-alcohol drinker. I do not have any symptoms or signs, normal eye, and skin color. I am taking Cipralex 15 mg for the past one year. Had a history of bladder stone and it required admission for one week until it passe...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If Mmol means micron mol, then it is fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a normal variant of hyperbilirubinemia. Most common cause of the condition is hemolysis, Gilbert syndrome is also a common cause of such a situation. In both the co...  Read Full »

How to lead a healthy life once we recover from a liver disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a liver disease for the past few months. My blood report showed a bilirubin of 1.8 mg/dL. I took Pan 40 and Ribsyn tablet for the past one month. After taking medications, my bilirubin got decreased. Now, I am too slim. How to become healthy?  Read Full »

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The liver is the most vital organ in the body. It takes part in metabolic activities. When it works correctly, you will gain weight automatically. Take the following medicines. Take Liv 52 syrup (Caper bush with Chicory) 10 ml twice a day before food. Take Kutki capsule...  Read Full »

Why does my brother get jaundice every year during summer?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother has jaundice, and it is occurring every year during summer. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He is experiencing weakness and swelling on face and across his ankle. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every year. In addition to that, h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have posted. He has the following problems: Low platelet count of 40,000. Iron-deficiency anemia. Hepatospleenomegaly. Raised serum bilirubin and mild elevation of...  Read Full »

What is the difference between jaundice and hepatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed to be suffering from hepatitis. My SGPT and bilirubin levels are high. I have been experiencing vomiting and nausea for the past one month. I had tested myself for jaundice around 15 days back; only bilirubin was high that time. Now, in the recent test taken three days ago...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The term hepatitis indicates inflammation of the liver and that may manifest as jaundice. It is due to many causes such as infection, metabolic, etc. We need to do a thorough investigation, because treatment is directed towards the specific disease and some medication ma...  Read Full »