Q. My bilirubin level is 1. 7 with no symptoms of jaundice. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

My bilirubin level is 1.7, but I do not have any symptoms of jaundice. How can I bring the bilirubin level to normal?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, there are certain medications that can bring bilirubin down but your bilirubin is 1.7 which is within normal limits. It does not require any treatment. The possible cause of asymptomatic small raised bilirubin is Gilbert syndrome which is completely harmless. In case, you suppose that I should diagnose your problem then please share the complete report of liver function tests.

Follow up with complete liver function tests.

| 

I am attaching my abdomen report.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have reviewed your US abdomen report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the liver point of view, it is completely normal. However, there are stones-small one called concretions, present in both kidneys. But you should do anything for these kidney stones if you do not have any symptoms. The symptoms of kidney stones are pain over abdomen, or at loin, or any blood in urine. You just need to take at least two to three liters of water daily and do some regular exercise, these concretions (small stones) will go away.

So we were talking about bilirubin of 1.7. which as I previously suggested you are completely harmless and not in abnormal ranges. The abnormal range is more than 2 mg/dl. On the last conversation we had, I suggested you to upload the complete liver function tests because then I can be able to confirmly tell you what to do now. If you had your liver function tests (LFTs) already, kindly upload those one, or if not, just get this done and let me know when the results are available.

Asymptomatic borderline raised bilirubin.

Liver function tests (LFT).

Gilbert syndrome.

Follow up with liver function tests.

| 

I have attached my LFT report. In the scan, it came as distended gallbladder and pericholecystic fluid collection are it fine.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

You finally uploaded the LFT report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The things now can get straightforward. So you see in LFT, it is not only bilirubin which is raised given the reference ranges of that lab, but there is also raised SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase), which suggests liver inflammation. The raise of bilirubin is the only problem. I see you mention your weight as 78 lbs (35 kg) is that correct? I want you should tell me your correct bodyweight? Because it is possible you have liver steatosis (liver fat) which is causing this raised bilirubin with raised SGPT.

The ultrasound reports said no calculi or no pericholecystic fluid collection. It is not uncommon that sonologist often write reports of their own style which are basically wrongly written but they feel fine with that. Your ultrasound is perfectly fine. Except for kidney stones for which I have already given you advice.

So overweight (obesity) is the one common cause of abnormal LFT. It is possible that you have overweight related liver test abnormality, but if your weight is actually what that you mentioned, then I think we should get further few tests to confirm the cause of altered liver function tests. The common causes of abnormal liver function tests are viral infections of the liver, some metabolic problem of excessive iron, copper metal within liver. I do not want to bombard you with so many tests unless I have complete information about your weight, or prior exposure to virues particularly hepatitis B and hepatitis C, use of prior or recent alcohol intake, and any particular history of the family having liver abnormality. I also want to know some personal history including your sexual history.

Let me know the above information I will sort out things for you and can be able to give you proper advice that you can take for your whole life. understand my point.

Altered liver tests. Hepatitis secondly to weight (non alcoholic liver disease). ALD (alcoholic liver disease). Viral hepatitis. Autoimmune hepatitis. Metabolic disease of iron and copper excess in liver.

Will suggest some investigation after further information is provided.

Follow up to discuss in detail using online consultation.

|