Q. What does continuous high bilirubin level indicate?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
Published on Dec 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I am suffering from jaundice for the last two months. One month before, my bilirubin level was 1.4. Before 15 days, the level was 1.2 and today 1.8. What is the reason for this change?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

• I can understand your concern for the continuous high bilirubin level. Before proving you appropriate guidance, I would like to know a few more details.
  • I guess the reports mentioned by you are total bilirubin. What about direct, indirect bilirubin and liver enzymes (SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) values?
  • Do you have any abdominal pain and loss of appetite? Has USG abdomen done? If so, then please share the report.

Revert back with the details to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

I have attached the reports for your reference.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

#

I read all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your indirect bilirubin and total bilirubin are elevated. This indicates higher production of bilirubin in the liver.
  • Bilirubin is produced from the breakdown of RBCs (red blood cells). Your CBC report (complete blood count) indicates higher value of RBC. Thus, overall turnover of RBC would be high. This might lead to a high breakdown of RBC and ultimately high level of bilirubin.
  • As far as your liver enzymes are normal, liver is functioning normally.
  • You must consult your medical gastroenterologist opinion for this high bilirubin, but I do not think that you require specific treatment for this.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

My newborn baby was found to have high bilirubin. Kindly advice.

Query: Hi doctor,Our newborn baby was found to have serum bilirubin 20 and direct 18 on the 4th day. Kindly suggest appropriate advice. If we are going for photo therapy, then which light is better?  Read Full »

How can jaundice be treated in a 4-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old daughter with a weight of 12 kg has jaundice for the last 10 days. She is on HepaMerz Syrup and Mosegor-V Syrup. What should be done more to cure her?  Read Full »

I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.  Read Full »