Q. My homocysteine and lipoprotein values are elevated. Is it worrisome?

Published on Aug 01, 2018

I have homocysteine value 23.6, and lipoprotein 31.5. ECG and TMT are normal. Is it serious? As I smoke, is it normal because of my smoking? Do I need to visit a doctor?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is not worrisome. Lipoprotein is just borderline, and you just need to have a healthy lifestyle to control it like low oily, fat and calorie diet along with regular exercises at least 30 minutes a day. Lipoprotein correlates with cholesterol. So, once you should get your lipid profile done.

Homocysteine is elevated to some extent which is usually due to vitamin B12 or folate deficiency. So, you need to get the level of vitamin B12 and folic acid done, and supplements, if either one is deficient.

Thirdly, you have mild prolapse of the mitral valve in echo which is not usually worrisome but should be kept under observation. So, you get echo done every two to three years.

So overall, it is not worrisome, but smoking is always injurious to health. It increases the risk of many illnesses. So, effort should be always to cut down on smoking and it is best to avoid it.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I will go ahead with your advice. Do I need to take supplements for this elevated homocysteine? Or will I be able to reduce by diet itself? Is this quite serious?

#

No, this is not much serious. As I mentioned above, the usual cause for elevated homocysteine is low vitamin B12 or folic acid. So, I suggest you test their levels and if low, then you will need supplements depending upon the result.

Regarding my mitral valve prolapse, kindly go through my echo scan report and tell me how much size I have my mitral valve prolapse and how is the size of my left ventricle and other parts are in the correct size and others are normal.

#

I have gone through it. There is nothing to worry about it at the moment. There is just mild prolapse and a majority of the individuals with this condition do not get any future problems, just minority, say 10 to 15 percent may have progression. And yours does not look like to progress. So, we should just keep watch with regular echo say every two to three years.

Rest parameters are normal. Also, there is just a trivial MR which can be found normally in an otherwise normal individual. So nothing to worry about it at present.

As an occasional drinker, I do drink once a month. Will alcohol affect mild mitral valve prolapse in any way?

#

Alcohol does increases homocysteine but once a month is fine. It will not affect your homocysteine levels if you are having it once a month, but regular excessive intake will affect. As I mentioned previously, homocysteine is treatable in most of the patients with vitamin B12 or folate supplements.

Also, occasional alcohol will not affect mitral valve prolapse. Smoking should not be done as it is much more harmful than alcohol.

How to reduce the increased lipoprotein level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 42-year-old female. I am not taking any medications till now. Recently, I did my yearly medical tests and saw my LP(a) at 54.3 mg/dL. Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, LP(a) level should be less than 30 mg /dL. But, you have an increased level. High level of LP(a) signifies the increased risk for atherosclerosis of vessel and heart disease like ischemic heart disease. The doctor usually prescribes this test when there is a hi...  Read Full

I feel weak and lethargic off late. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old male. My blood test results are as follows: hsCRP is 3.48, SGPT is 63.1, GGT is 85.6, and lipoprotein (a) is 47.1. Rest of the 80 odd blood tests are in the normal range. Should I follow up with any tests? Is there anything to worry about, especially regarding my he...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your lipoprotein, hsCRP (high sensitivity C-reactive protein), and SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) are mildly elevated and the reason for this is your weight and high BMI (body mass index). This leads to accumulation of fat in the liver, which causes an elev...  Read Full

Is it possible to detect MVP through ECG and TMT?

Query: Hi doctor, For two years, I have been suffering from MVP (mitral valve prolapse). Then, I have undergone ECG and TMT, but no MVP detected. But, I was advised to take the tablets given for MVP, which includes Metolac-ER 50 and Dothimax 25. Will these tablets cause any side effects?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mitral valve prolapse cannot be detected on ECG - electrocardiogram or a TMT - treadmill test unless has very advanced and causing severe problems. It can be picked up by an echocardiogram, which is a heart ultrasound. Now coming back to your medications, Dothimax (...  Read Full