Q. What medications can a patient with thyroid cysts take to lower his T4 levels?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I was diagnosed with goiter six months ago. The ultrasound scan revealed that I have thyroid cysts in both lobes. I started taking homeopathy treatment. I underwent another ultrasound scan after three months to confirm if the size of the cysts had reduced over time. The number and the size of cysts have reduced. However, my T4 levels are a little high, and the doctor advised me to start allopathic medicine to control my T4 levels. My weight has reduced from 75 kg to 58 kg during this treatment. Can you suggest medications for reducing T4 levels?

#

I just read your previous and current reports (attachments removed to protrect the patient's identity), and I can see that you have benign thyroid nodules, which are cystic, and you were asked to take homeopathic medication to supposedly reduce the problem. The thyroid nodules were benign and would have changed, increased, or decreased in size or number, irrespective of the homeopathic treatment you took. Now you have slightly high T4 (thyroxine), which could be due to the homeopathic medication you are taking, as these medicines cause weight reduction and permanently affect thyroid function. I suggest you do not require any thyroid gland medication and follow it up regularly after six months.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I feel discomfort in swallowing food and was told that cysts on both the lobes apply pressure on the nerves in the throat. The homeopathy doctor has advised me that I will be free of nodules in a month or two. Please give me some tips as I have difficulty swallowing.

#

Your thyroid nodules are very small to, cause pressure symptoms. This difficulty in swallowing can be due to dryness in the throat or decreased fluid intake. So I suggest you use saline drops for your nose at night. In addition, I suggest you use Strepsils (Dichlorobenzyl alcohol and Amylmetacresol). Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with them, and take medications with their consent. Drink plenty of fluids. Take one teaspoon of honey in the morning directly. If the problem persists, you might need some anti-allergy drugs or antibiotics for persistent sore throat.

|