HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyemergency contraceptionMy partner did not bleed after taking the protective pill. Why?

Partner did not bleed after Unwanted 72 and periods is due. Please help.

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 12, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 12, 2024

Patient's Query

My partner's periods date is 23. Last periods was on the 23rd two months ago. My partner and I were intimate on 10th last month. It was unprotected. So, she took an I-pill on the 12th. She bled on 22nd. Again we had sex on 9th this month. It was protected but the condom slipped. So, for protection, I gave her Unwanted-72 on the 10th. Till now, she did not bleed and her period date is also due. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar

Although you have rightly taken the emergency contraceptive pill both the time well within 72 hours after intimacy, so considering that she had her first bleed on time, it is likely that her next menses would anyhow be delayed by few days as a side effect known with I-pill. Now that you have taken an I-pill again, the bleeding should be expected by seven to 10 days ideally, but you can wait another week for withdrawal bleed to start naturally. If no bleed in next seven days then get a urine pregnancy test done to rule out pregnancy, possibly due to I-pill failure and if the test is negative then you can opt for a progesterone-induced withdrawal.

Please follow up with further clarifications and discussion.Regards.

Patient's Query

Is there any chance of pregnancy as 9th was her safe days according to the period chart.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar

She was on day-17 of her cycle on 10th, so well within her unsafe period. So, chances of pregnancy would have existed ideally if emergency contraception would not have been opted for after condom misadventure. But in your case, a wait of seven days can be safely opted and then decisions can be taken based on the arrival of her withdrawal bleed and urine pregnancy test results.

Patient's Query

My last question is she does not have any symptoms of pregnancy. But having back pain and cramps after using I-pill. Is it normal?

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar

If she is having back pain and cramps already now, then these are PMS symptoms and she may have her withdrawal bleed in the next few days. So, in my opinion, she should wait for few more days and watch. In the meantime, she may use hot fomentation and NSAIDs to counter the pain and cramps. Also, ask her to drink plenty of water to reduce the progesterone effects of I-pill. If she gets her bleed then she can consider herself pregnancy safe.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy